Question about seasoning the Bradley

Started by SmokinMoe, November 20, 2004, 12:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I put in 6 pucks and the kummok pucks tonight and let it smoke for the time it took to burn the 6 pucks.  But, I had the thing practically turned almost off and the temp. still was at 200 degrees.
Is that normal?  How would I do a cold smoke?  The book said to leave the temp at 150 degrees, but the only time my Bradley hit 150 was on the way up to 200!
Can someone please tell me if I did something wrong?  I think I shouldn't have turned on the heating element, but I am not sure.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i had the same problem when i first did mine, it seams like when it is empty it gets hotter, , the temp slider is very touchy, just move it to the right just a hair, and just play with it to get used to it, what kind of cold smoking are you wanting to do?

SmokinMoe

I didn't want to do a cold smoke, I was just seasoning the Bradley.  The manual said to smoke for a few hours to get the new taste out of the smoker and then you can start smoking.
But the manual said to leave it at 150 degrees, but I could never get it to stay at 150.  
I finished the seasoning anyway, but wondered if I was going to have a temp. problem or if this was normal.

BigSmoker

SM,
When you put food in the box the temp will go down and it will have a recovery period until it gets back to the set temp.  For cold smoking you would need to unplug the smoker cabinet from the generator and use trays of ice(depending upon where you live and the season)to keep the smoker cooler.  It works very well for me[:D].  Your seasoning is done and your ready for the big leagues now.  I think I remember reading you bought a guru?  If you did should be no worries, if not just keep a close eye on it for a bit and you will be fine.  Have fun[;)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

smokinmoe did you buy a guru? if you did to get your temp down below 170 , you take the meat probe and the temp clip and clip them together and wrap in foil, now for the tem you use the meat temp dial to set you temp from 110 to 180, to get the low temp you want, hope this helps you ,

Mardi

Ok, I'm new here.  Just got my Bradley...it's not even out of the box yet.  I've been reading up on cooking methods.  I'll bite...What is a guru?

SmokinMoe

Better not ask....LOL
It is some sort of thing that controls the temp./draft of the bradley when it is used on the bradley.  You set the temp of the cabinet and the temp of your meat, and then you can go away until it is done.
Otherwise, you have to watch that the temp is where you want it by sliding the thing at the bottom to adjust the temp. for the inside of the Bradley.
I can't give you the best terminology here, but I will try to post a link for you in the next thread.
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mardi

Wow...that thing costs almost as much as the Bradley.  Is it really necessary?  How well does it work?

Richard Pearce

Quote<i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Mardi,
Here is a link to the Power Raptor/Guru.

<font size="5"><font size="5"><font color="navy"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Has anyone actually used a Power Raptor Guru with the Bradley? It sounds great and, after all the time and $$$ spent on smoking, it probably works out as quite inexpensive in the end!
I don't have too much trouble keeping the temperatures low here in the winter (not sure about this winter though[:)]) but it sure would be nice to keep them way down for cold smoking. Perhaps a combination the the remote box smoke generator (described elsewhere) and the Guru may be the answer? </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="navy"></font id="size5"></font id="size5">

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Habanero Smoker

I use the Power Raptor/Guru, but Bill has a lot more experience with it than I do. I do know that this is not the ideal unit for cold smoking, because the lowwest temperature it will monitor is 110 degress.

For hot smoking it is excellent. Prior to getting the Gurum, I was going to my smoker every 20 - 45 minutes adjusting my BS temperature. Now I can set it and leave for the day, or go to sleep without worrying about the meat and cabinet temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinMoe

I used it for the first time on Saturday evening and it worked all night and I went to bed.  When I got up to check it the next morning, the temp. was right where I told it to be.  It babysat for me, so to speak, so I could sleep.  I love it even though I only have experience with it one time so far.
Never cold smoked, so I can't answer that for you.