Can any body help me with venting problems?

Started by dartgod74, February 03, 2008, 11:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartgod74

I used an old fridge for my smoker.  I installed the smoke generator on the bottom of the fridge.  I used a electric burner for the heat,  I gutted out the compressor and mounted it there.  I put a 4 inch hole for heat to flow though to inside smoker.  I have a 3 inch vent on top of fridge.  My problems if that the smoke keeps backing up through the generator.  I was just wondering if I should mount my burner inside the smoker?

pensrock

It sounds to me like you are not getting any flow from the bottom of the fridge to the top vent. Maybe you need some vent holes near the bottom to allow the heat/smoke to flow up through the fridge. Just a thought, without actually seeing how its constructed its difficult to diagnose. I know it is not a good thing to see smoke coming out of the smoke generator vents. Make sure the top vent is not obstructed also.

Arcs_n_Sparks

dartgod74,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have the heater going to get some convection action in the fridge? Can you post some pictures of your setup? That would help us help you.

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

The photos will help.  In the spirit of guessing I think Pensrock is correct.  Without an additional bottom vent it will be difficult to create a draw.

The smoke generator is the bottom vent when connected to a Bradley Tower but with the size difference it will take a lot of heat rising to pull air through it. 
You may need a bigger vent at the top.  It is ok, vents are your friend to avoid a lot of condensation hassle. Just make them adjustable.

The smoke benerator is good for 50 cuft of volume so you do have plenty of smoke.

See the link below from the Bradley website.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/BradleySmokeGeneratorBluePrint.pdf

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

car54

How hot can you get the smoker? I would think that once you get it up to temperature you should get a natural draft because heat rises. Is there an obstruction in the smoke generator preventing the smoke from getting in?

Brad

iceman

I don't have any additional vents in my big smokers. Just where the generator goes through the smoker. I made sure the heating elements were below the generator and toward the front of the smoker. It creates a real good draft even while it's warming up. Without pictures it's hard to tell you what the problem is. Any way you can post some or e-mail them ?