Need everyones help on a PID problem

Started by iceman, February 04, 2008, 09:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Wildcat just got the PID I built him and needs help on how to run the auto tune. I'm out of town for a few weeks and don't have the manual so I can't give him directions. Can you guys help him out for me so he doesn't have to wait until I get home?
Thanks folks  ;) :)

Mr Walleye

Not a problem Ice!

I'm sure between everybody we should be able to help him out. One question though is it an Auber PID?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 04, 2008, 09:44:32 AM
Not a problem Ice!

I'm sure between everybody we should be able to help him out. One question though is it an Auber PID?

Mike

Yep. It's the 1/16 DIN model SYL-2352 with a ThermoWorks oven probe THS-113-173

Tiny Tim

Hope this makes sense.  Press and hold the "Set" button for about 2 seconds or until the display changes.  Press a few more times until the "At" field shows up in the upper display, and it should have a "3" in the lower field...change the "3" to a "2" using the down arrow key.  Should start autotuning when it goes back into operation in about 8 seconds.  When autotune is complete, it will automatically go back to the "3" setting, and remember your P, I, and D settings.  You can then check them by going back into the setting mode and going down to the respective readings, although it will have the "I" first.

Wildcat

I really appreciate any help I can get.

Do I need to be smoking/cooking something when I do this?

How long will the process take?

How do I find out the PID settings?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

More questions - should vent be open?
I always cook with the generator on.  Should this be on during this auto tune?

Tiny Tim

It's best to have a load in there when you do it...to find out the settings, hold the set button again until you get into the menu, then scroll through using the down arrow...the I setting will be the first one that shows, then the P, then the D...they'll be in line right after the Autotune part.

I think it takes about an hour to get done, I didn't watch mine, but when I checked on it after an hour or so, it was done.

And, since you posted again before I got this posted...have it set up the way you do for most of your smokes.  If you keep the smoke gen on, leave it on.

Wildcat

Thanks TT.  I will see if I can scare up some meat and will get back after I give it a try.

Mr Walleye

WildCat

I don't have my manual here at work but Tiny appears to have the procedure down. Don't be scared to familiarize yourself with the buttons and the menu structure on the unit. It really is easy once you go through it once. There is one more setting I changed but I will have to get back to you on it because I don't have that information here at work.

It can take up to an hour for the Autotune to run. You will know when it's complete because it will return to its normal view (no longer flashing). I would recommend having some kind of a load in it to simulate the typical load you would smoke. You should bring the unit up to within 10 degrees of the set temp, then engage the AutoTune and let her rip. Also, if you usually run the smoke generator all the time make sure you keep it on as this will have an effect on it.

Like I said in another post I ran Autotune several times. The first few times without much of a load in it. The final time I ran the Autotune I had a butt in. I engaged the Autotune after it had been in for a couple of hours (still during smoke so the generator was on). You can run the Autotune as many times as you want so don't be concerned you are going to hurt anything. The only thing I would do if you are going to run multiple Autotunes is write down the current numbers along with the setup info during the Autotune.

Mike

Tiny Tim

Actually, Mike, I cheated...I still have the pdf of the manual you e-mailed me before I even had mine in hand.  Just got done printing another copy to have on my desk, so the questions are probably done. lol

Wildcat

Thanks Mike.

TT I went and picked up some more chicken.  The BS is heating as I type this.  I followed your instructions but could not find anything that said "At".  I kept pushing the buttons until the normal display came up.  I tried this twice and could not find the "At".

Tiny Tim

Shoot...maybe I'm not as smart as I thought I was...and the manual ain't as clear as it could be.  Maybe get into the menu by holding the set button, then use the down arrow.........on second thought, I'm gonna check with Dad to see if I can run home quick (there's something else I want to do too), so I'll be back to you yet this afternoon...hopefully within the next half hour or so.

Wildcat

The PID probe is currently set at 220.  The PID indicater is bouncing around between 217 and 227.  By bouncing around, I mean it is showing multiple numbers within seconds of each other.  I assume it is doing this because it needs to be auto tuned.

pensrock

Wildcat, maybe one of the others can shed more light on the numbers bouncing since I have never used an Auber temp controller. But I do work with industrial temp controllers just about every day and when I see numbers bouncing faster than the furnace could possibly be reacting to, it is normally a loose connection somewhere between the controller and the thermocouple unless the T/C is failing but your is brand new so I would rule that out.
  Go ahead and do your autotune to see if it helps but if not I would begin by checking that the T/C wires are tight. Hopefully someone here that uses an Auber will have more info.
  When running an autotune you do not need to actually cook something, you can simulate a load with bricks or something like that. You do want the smoker to be as close to a normal operation as possible when running the autotune.

Mr Walleye

WildCat

Do you have the manual there with you?

If you do find where it lists the menu structure and locate the autotune sybol. It really doesn't resemble an "At" because of the limitations of the numeric screen. I know the first couple of times I scanned through the menu I missed it too.

Mike