generator mounting info needed

Started by pensrock, February 07, 2008, 03:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

I have a couple questions for those who have made there own cold smoking boxes. I am in the process of making one out of 16ga. steel, I'm thinking a cube, 16-inches in size will be plenty large enough.
  I would like to know what size the two holes should be. One for the generator and the one on top where the flex ducting slips into.
  Also does someone have a layout of the two holes that the generator hangs from in relationship to the large hole? Any tips and ideas will be helpful.

iceman

pensrock I'm not in town right now but I might be able to help out. The hole on top is 4" just big enough for the alum, flex dryer hose. As far as the hole in back just measure your Bradley tower if you have a Bradley smoker. If not I can have Ann measure the mount plates I have and foward them to you.

Mr Walleye

Pensrock

Like Ice said just measure your BS but I believe when I made mine the generator requires a 4 & 1/2 inch hole. I would measure it to make sure but that's what I remember. If you can't measure yours let me know and I will run out to the garage and measure mine.

For the 4 inch vent pipe to attach to the offset cold box I used a metal 4 inch pipe cap, cut the top off and welded it to the top of the offset box. Then I cut the inside diameter out (through the offset box) for the smoke to flow through. I don't know if I explained that very good but the idea is so that a standard 4 inch aluminium dryer vent would fit over it.

Another thing I found was you can use 1/4 inch carriage bolts to hang the generator on. Just drill 1/4 inch holes in your metal offset box. When you tighten the carriage bolts (head to the outside) the collar of the heads will allow the generator to hang on them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Thamks iceman and Mr. Walleye.
   I have been busy and have not had a chance to check in. I have the metal bent and the hole positions layed out. I'll measure the ID of the flex ducting and make a ring to weld to the top of the box, as you suggested.
  I just measured the Bradley and it looks like the generator hole is 4-3/8" to 4-1/2" diameter. It doesn't look like it needs to be critical. The two mounting holes are 2-1/4" up from the center of the big hole and 7" apart. I have plenty of carrage bolts so that idea will also work out.
Thanks for the help.
pensrock