Slicer

Started by MRH, February 12, 2008, 12:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

My Ten Inch Slicer arrived today. I have taken it apart for the initial cleaning and I will be slicing 5 lbs of partially frozen bottom round tomorrow.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Rider,
Tell me your initial assessment of it out of the box.  Is is what you thought you were getting?  Mine is on order and I'm somewhat impatiently waiting.  Look good?  By the way, it ought to slice that canadian bacon you got going on!! :)

KyNola

FLBentRider

Initial assesment:

Me:
"Dude! this thing is heavy!"

Wife:
"Where are you going to put that thing ?"

Oldest Kid, 16, upon seeing the blade:

"Medieval!"

It seems to be well made. Plenty of metal parts where metal parts belong. Huge improvement over the 30+ year old Rival.

Having said that, and having used it to slice 5 lbs of partially frozen bottom round today, I made short work of it.

Cleaning - Could be better. The assembly that holds the product will all go in the dishwasher, but the plate that it slides against does not and has to be washed by hand. It does come off, but with a socket wrench. In order to get to the place were meat collects behind the blade, you have to take off the blade. It is still kind of a pain to get down in there with a cotton swab.

All in all though, worth every penny of the $100.02 that I spent. If I had spent $300.00 on it I would have been dissapointed.

Next time I take it apart, I'll post pictures.

The Canadian "Back" Bacon will be first on the agenda in the AM.

I'm not really sure they were clear about the "Remanufactured" part up front.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Ordered mine on-line on Sunday, 2/24, arrived Wednesday 2/27.  Checked for loose screws,etc. then fired it up.  Had nothing to slice but it appears this bad boy rocks.  I've visited delicatessens with smaller slicers than this 10 inch.  For the money I think it's a great deal.

KyNola  

KyNola

Rider,
I have to agree about the "refurb" not being clear but for the money for that size and what I think is quality, I'm willing to take the chance.  I read in another post that they replaced the 15 minute breaker with a much longer one but I noticed my unit still has the 15 minute warning sticker on it and the instruction booklet says to not run it longer than 15 minutes.  Either way, I'm happy with it.

Canadian bacon turn out ok?

KyNola

FLBentRider

The Canadian turned out great - take a look at the pictures on the curing forum

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tony2

My 10" Slicer showed up today, box was HUGE! Anyhow there was no directions or the sharpener, you guys get those
with yours? I have to call them on Monday and get them sent................is a pain since I am in Canada.

Also I have a mysterious clear plastic "L" shaped piece that has a slight curve to it and was laying in the box..........anyone
know what that is for or where it attaches?

Thanks,

Tony

FLBentRider

The Sharpener is attached to the bottom. The plastic piece is part of the safety guard. I could scan the manual if you have trouble getting it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MoSmoke

Tony2,
You can find the sharpener if you tilt the slicer back and look in the middle of the bottom of the slicer, it's secured under the slicer.
The smoked plactic part should go on the end of the plate that the meat you are slicilng sits on.
There should be 2 big thumb screws and bolts on the left end of the plate as you face the slicer.
Look at the picture on the box.

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

bigredsmoker

I think the L shaped plastic piece he is referring to is the finger guard that is used when you use the sharpener.

MoSmoke

Bigredsmoker and Flbentrider,
I think you guys are right about the "L" shaped plastic part, I didn't pay too much attention to it as it was clipped in underneath the slicer.  The clue I should have picked up on in his question was "clear plastic part".
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

bigredsmoker

Got my slicer yesterday and unpacked it. Huge box and kind of a challenge to unpack because of the weight. This is some slicer for under $100! Never thought I would own such a heavy duty one. I sliced some belly bacon with it and it worked great. My bacon just fit. I think it will work fine for most of my bacon. I could always trim a little off the end if it is too long and use the chunks in beans or something. I also slice top round for jerky. One at fridge temp the other partialy frozen. The frozen one worked much better, but the other worked good as well. Cleaned the whole think up this morning in about 15 minutes. Didn't think the clean up was too bad. I took the blade off to clean, don't see how you could do it any other way. Wore my cut proof gloves for that part, that plade looks like a razor.

All in all I am very pleased at this point. Can't wait to try it out on some canadian bacon and other types of meat. now to try and find a place to store the monster. ;D

Tony2

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the fast replies!! Yes the sharpener was in fact on the bottom, lol I would have never found that! I am going to call
them on Monday and see if they can mail me the instructions.

Thanks for the offer to scan for me a manual, if I cant get one from them I may have to take you up on your offer  ;D

Have a good day,

Tony

Scotty-G

I called Weston this morning to see if they had any more 10" slicers and was told that they were sold out of both the 10" and 12"  :(   - snooze you loose - oh well

They did say to keep checking their website as they will do this type of sale again as new inventory/new models come in.

Tony2

Well called them this morning and they had the instructions in PDF format and emailed to me as we were on the phone!
They were extremely courteous and helpful on the phone  ;D

Tony