Slicer

Started by MRH, February 12, 2008, 12:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

I was on another forum and seen where somebody posted about this slicer  from there Inventory closeout. There were several that ordered, one posted that they used it to make deer jerky and it worked well.  I put in a order for the 12" one today.  I called it in because it didn't show any shipping, I guess the shipping calculater wasn't working on the website. He said that they would have called and told me if I had went that route.  So I thoutght I would spread the word.

Mark ;D

West Coast Kansan

Hi Mark,  What site  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

MRH

Oops sorry I forgot to do the paste with the web site address. There is a 10 inch for $79.99 and a 12 inch for $99.99

Here it is: http://www.westonsupply.com/Items.aspx?CAT=inventory

Mark

Gizmo

If I didn't just receive mine at $400 and 1 inch less in blade, I would be going for it.  For $100 it seems too good to be true.  Looks similar to the Chef's Choice.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Ya... That's a he11 of a good price!  :o

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MRH

It does look to good to be true!  I was on the Smoking meat forum and the guys there had posted about it, several had ordered either it or the 10 inch one. A couple said they had got theirs already. One said it was a big box and was packaged well.  If you look at the weight listed they are a pretty hefty slicer!  (12 inches was listed at 57.9 lbs)  No woder it cost me 24 bucks to ship!! Should be here mid next week they said,  I will keep you all posted.

Mark

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

That is a great price. I'm looking forward to your review.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MRH

Here is a post from the Smoking meat forum about why the slicer is so cheap.  I guess the guy asked them about it.

"
Quotefor those who are wondering, the reason they have these on closeout and so cheap is because 1. they have had new circuit breakers installed to allow them to run longer then 20 minutes continuous, therefor technically they are no longer "new" and 2. they are getting a newer version of the 10" unit (but not the 12....).

if you are interested in a cheese blade for the 12, well they don't have one.....but they do for the 10.....so if you intend on using it for cutting soft cheese I'd suggest the 10 so you can get a cheese blade....but if you only plan on cutting hard cheese then the 12 will be fine......other then that both work great for meat obviously!!!!

Mark

Tiny Tim

Man...wish I had $100 laying around doing nothing...I know what I'd make it do now...get us to be a 2 slicer household. :D

Tony2

Well I broke down and bought a 10" slicer from them, as per the other posters they said on the 10" they have a new model coming and that they had to upgrade the circuit breaker..............as it would only run for about 20 min then trip and you would have to wait a while, now it would easily run for approx an hour or more no problem. He also stated that the 12" only has about a 5/8" longer throw on the tray. Finaly I was inquiring how they have held up and he explained they had been good and the stated they made Cabelas for them which is essentially the same slicer and have had minimal issues.

Also I asked about soft cheese, he said it didnt work great for that but hard cheese is fine though you could not slice real thin, they also do not have a cheese blade for the 10" either..........the one posted on the other forum if for the old model! I am curious if anyone else uses the same mounting method as these guys and one could find a cheese blade??

I am having it sent up to me here in Canada, $67 and they are using USPS for me to avoid some of the ridiculous UPS brokerage fee's etc.

I will let you all know how it looks and works once I receive.

Tony2

Mr Walleye

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

That's not bad for shipping! I'm also from Canada and I agree with you about UPS. They (UPS) try to make you think that it's the Broker that is gouging you but if you do a little checking it's my understanding that they own the Broker service company that they use. Either way they are gouging, I also try to have everything sent USPS with the exception of Cabelas because they have their own Broker.

Mike

Tony2

Thanks Mr Walleye,

What part of Canada are you in? I am in Calgary.

Yes this forum is bad!! lol I have been lurking for several months and didnt sign up until recently when I saw a thread on the portable smoker (Yes bought one of those too! lol) and am going to keep it in the motorhome to use on camping trips. I have had a DBS for approx a year now and been enjoying it quite a bit which brought me to this thread as I kept thinking I wanted a slicer as I have done a prime rib in the smoker and thought how good it would be shaved and used for beef dips!!

Thank you all for the ongoing tips and helping me spend my money!!

Tony

winemakers

I just got off the phone with these guys; a 12 inch model is headed my way.  The kicker for me was this was the model cabelas sold, and my experience with their branded products has been good.  And lets face it, the lesser slicers are $80 to $100, so for the same price, I can test drive a big dog and hope for the best!!  Woo hoo!

Ryan, the customer service rep stated they have 5 of the 12 inchers left, and a pack of the 10s.

Turns out they are local to me (3/4 hr or so), so if any of our 'north country breatheren' need want or desire one of these critters, send me a message and I could pick up/reship to you.

mld

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tony2 on February 14, 2008, 10:01:39 AM
Thanks Mr Walleye,

What part of Canada are you in? I am in Calgary.

Yes this forum is bad!! lol I have been lurking for several months and didnt sign up until recently when I saw a thread on the portable smoker (Yes bought one of those too! lol) and am going to keep it in the motorhome to use on camping trips. I have had a DBS for approx a year now and been enjoying it quite a bit which brought me to this thread as I kept thinking I wanted a slicer as I have done a prime rib in the smoker and thought how good it would be shaved and used for beef dips!!

Thank you all for the ongoing tips and helping me spend my money!!

Tony

Tony

I'm from Moose Jaw, SK.
You're right on the "money about the forum!  :D  ;)
Tons of great information. The only thing better is all the friendly folks willing to share the wealth of information.

Mike