Slicer

Started by MRH, February 12, 2008, 12:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Winemakers

That's an awsome offer! I'm not sure I need to update my slicer but..... now I'm thinking!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

Looks like a good deal for the power and size.  12" price is comparable to the 10" Waring I just bought.  Wattage on this model looks better than Waring too. 
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

The 12's were gone last night. I have a 10 inch on the way. I has to work better that my 35 year old Rival 7 inch unit.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigredsmoker

Ordered a 10" last night. $79.99 and they didn't charge me any shipping as far as I could tell. I have always wanted a slicer and this deal was too good to pass up. It says it weigh 35 lbs, so I would think it would have to be fairly well made. For that price I will take a gamble. I told the wife and she says "where we gonna put that thing?" I'll figure out somewhere I'm sure. Can't wait to get it, I have some bacon I need to slice!! ;D

FLBentRider

When I ordered mine the freight was also $0.00. Then I received an email from them stating that the freight (UPS ground) was going to be 20.03. I replied that I thought free shipping on something that heavy was a bit of a pipe dream, and agreed to the charges. Still, $100.02 for a 10 inch slicer..

I had the same question from the Mrs. I told her I would get a rubbermaid tub for it and keep it in the garage when not in use, which at this point is mostly for jerky. I made 3lbs the other day and it was gone in less than 24 hours.

Teenagers..... I need zip-top bags with locks on them.

::)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigredsmoker

I kind of thought that maybe they would add shipping later. I ordered on Friday night so will probably not hear back untill Monday. You are right, $100 for a slicer like that is still a major bargain. I just hope it turns out to be decent. I think I will do the same thing with the tote idea. I think I have some room on a shelf in our mud room for it. At least I think there will be after a little re-org.   ;D

Haven't tried Jerky yet, which is amazing since I love the stuff. I think that will be one of the first projects when I get my slicer. How do you do yours flbentrider?

FLBentRider

I am using the Hi Mountain Jerky cure Original flavor - http://www.himtnjerky.com/ - and so far I have just dried it using our convection oven. We wanted to do a baseline "flavor check" before adding smoke. The first batch (1.5 lb - gone  in under 12 hours) we used flank steak from Sams. good - but the quality of the cryovac'd flank steaks was dissapointing - lots of fat and that silver stuff. The next batch (3lb - gone in less than 24 hours) was whatever beef roast was on sale at our local Supermarket (Publix) it was under $3.00 a pound and was just as good as the flank steak. I now have 5lbs of the same stuff in the fridge. My basic process is:

Cut the mean into manageble chunks - preparing to run them on the slicer. My family prefers against the grain.
I put them on wax paper on a sheet pan and place in the freezer for ~2 hours.
Remove from freezer - slice to 1/4 inch thickness - then weigh
Mix cure and seasoning according to package directions.
Season - flip - season - dump in big bowl - mix well
Entire thing goes into a zip-top bag and into the fridge for a mimimum of 24 hours ( usually go 36 to 48)
Put on racks - into the convection oven 200 degrees with door propped open (My Jenn-Air has a specific function for drying and a little gadget for propping the door open and covering the sensor that turns off the convection fan when the door opens)

Cool
Eat
Hide from the kids if you want any the next day

The next batch I am going to smoke for 1.5 hours, then transfer to the oven - but that seems like alot of ( extra ) work, and to fire up the OBS for just 1.5 hours, I will probably get some butts ready to put in when I take the jerky out - but then that is alot of meat flying around the house at the same time...

:)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

acords

Quote from: bigredsmoker on February 16, 2008, 10:08:18 AM
I kind of thought that maybe they would add shipping later. I ordered on Friday night so will probably not hear back untill Monday. You are right, $100 for a slicer like that is still a major bargain. I just hope it turns out to be decent. I think I will do the same thing with the tote idea. I think I have some room on a shelf in our mud room for it. At least I think there will be after a little re-org.   ;D

Haven't tried Jerky yet, which is amazing since I love the stuff. I think that will be one of the first projects when I get my slicer. How do you do yours flbentrider?
I ordered mine on Thursday night, same no shipping costs.  They called me Friday and said that their web site had a "glitch" and wasn't charging freight.  I had to give my approval for the $20.03 freight.  Still worth it I hope
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Habanero Smoker

flbentrider;

I also have a Jenn-Air with the Drying feature. I haven't used it yet. Does it do a decent job dehydrating? If so I may start using it for drying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

Habanero Smoker,

The Jenn-Air works great, but I really don't have anything else to compare it to. It dries the load in 1.5 hours and the whole house smells like Jerky.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try; it can't be any worse then leaving it in the smoker to dry; which is the way I've been drying jerky.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

winemakers

as if I need more reasons to be jealous of a jennaire.  Jerky in my obs takes me 4~5 hrs to dry, and I prefer a moist (read not storable at room temp) jerky.  Seems like I must start lobbying mama for a new replacement, or perhaps a comando raid on the GE conventional after hours............ perhaps several water glasses of knob creek to consider the attack and generate the necessary courage........

FLBentRider

There is a story behind our Jenn-Air:

When we built this house 13 years ago, we brought some appliances from our former home. The appliances that were provided with the house have all expired. The last to go was the GE downdraft range. The cooktop was fine, but the oven became possessed in the last few months . We would push the "bake" button and dial up the desired temperatute, and it would appear to be heating, then it would just shut off. It would take 7 to ten tries to get the oven on. Then, in a more disturbing development, it would then, after 20 minutes or so, (with the food in it) start the clean cycle! Error codes, beeping, burned food, gnashing of teeth.

With a family of six (including 2 teenagers) we can't prepare dinner in the toaster oven!

So I got to choose the new Range, and figuring it was going to last at least as long the previous one, I justified the "lots-o-toys" model.

;D

PS: the appliances we brought from South Carolina are still in service....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

winemakers

going to pick up my 10 inch slicer today.  Got the call yesterday that they oversold on the 12 inchers and I got bumped.  No major loss, will go with the smaller and think big thoughts.

Now, to stop at the market and buy bellies for bacon, top round for jerky, more casing for pepperoni.... my thoughts wax poetic on the things I can soon slice..

now I need ideas for sending the family out of town to get time to smoke.....

MoSmoke

My 12 inch slicer came today. It is huge and heavy.
Might have been better off with the 10 inch model.
I'll have to get a cart or something to store this beast on because I won't be moving it on and off of the counter.
It looks well built and well worth the $122.
Though the proof will be in the slicing.
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".