Slicer

Started by MRH, February 12, 2008, 12:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winemakers

follow up report.

I opened and used the 10 inch slicer.  Sliced a pile of pepperoni for pizza nite.  Always a big hit in our house.  One pesto, one traditional pep for the boys.  We made our first batch of mozzeralla cheese this weekend, so of course, that was the topper.

Slicer:  Very much worth the price.  Included sharpener, although the stones are very course.  Works smoothly.  clearly an overseas knockoff of an american design.  Clean up is typical for a commercial slicer and you must remove the blade to access all the areas where the meat builds up.  motor runs smoothly and I am looking forward to slicing some proto-jerky (top round or other similar discount bulk beef at the warehouse store) this evening.

bigredsmoker

Thanks for the report, I'm expecting mine towards the end of the week. Let us know how the jerky slicing comes out. Are you planning on partially freezing before slicing?

winemakers

I will try without freezing first.  I would expect with a sharp blade on a good machine the slicing should be adequate, but we'll see.

Gizmo

Even with a sharp blade you may find out that the meat will streatch and if you have any gaps between the thickness adjuster and the carriage, the meat will wedge itself in there.  It will work pretty well though.  I sliced jerky meat with a much cheaper model and serrated blade for many years before hearing about the partial freeze making it much easier.

The biggest difference with partially frozen meat is you get a more consistant thickness.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MRH

I just got my 12 incher today (No Jokes ;D)  Looks like it will be real nice,  I didn't slice anything but fired it up to make sure it worked.  There were a few loose screws from shipping, but no big deal.  The poor UPS driver was stuck in the driveway when I got home, took us around 45 minutes of pulling him several different directions with the tractor until I finally got him to to move.  I need a bigger tractor!!!

Mark

KyNola

Just ordered the 10 inch.  Having just done belly bacon today I realized I'm gonna need a slicer.  Thanks for all of your reports on this slicer.  Seems like a great del.

KyNola

MoSmoke

I used the 12 inch slicer over the weekend to slice some turkey breast.
It slices like a dream. I lot more precise and smoother than my 20 year old Rival.
The biggest problem I see with the slicer is the clean-up.
The blade guard is not easily removable and food gets in behind it that is almost inaccessible.
Wedging a small sponge and some Q-tips finally got it cleaned and sanitized.
Overall it's a great slicer but clean-up leaves something to be desired.
I would assume that the 10 inch model will be the same
As the members receive theirs and use them any clean-up tips would sure be welcome.

Thanks
John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

winemakers

I second the clean up blues.  However, I will qualify this by saying that it is no more difficult to clean than any commercial units I remember using in my ancient past.  I just cave in and disassemble including removing the blade.  It doesnt take long, just requires care while handling the blade itself.

As for slicing, raw top round for jerky with little issue.  Partial freezing is definitely a plus, but raw was do-able.  Over-all I am very pleased with the unit.

mld

KyNola

I'm impressed with Weston's service.  I ordered it on-line last night.  This morning before 9:00AM, they called and said I didn't need to buy the kind of shipping I requested as it would be here in the same length of time for the $20.00 shippping charge and changed it for me on the spot.  Don't hear much about that kind of service anymore.  I appreciate that!

KyNola

FLBentRider

You received better service that I did. I ordered on 2/14, received an email about the shipping charges on 2/15, replied the same hour. The next communication was a UPS shipping notification on 2/22. It should be delivered on 2/27. Not that I was in any hurry, but 5 business days to get from the warehouse to the UPS truck is slower than I like. I didn't call to check on it, since I figured it was on its way on the 18th or so, I sort of expected it delivered on 2/22, not the "we just shipped it" notification.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

acords

Just got the 10 Inch model today from UPS.  Quite a unit, pretty close to a commercial slicer. 
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Gizmo

I am using cut resistant gloves.  Not having any experience with them, I did a little research and ended up getting the Hexarmor gloves.  They are quite flexible to use.  They are quite comfortable to wear and use that I almost don't think they would be cut resistant as I was expecting big bulky hard to use as feeling safer.  If anyone has any other results I would like to here their experiences.

Sorry, I won't be volunteering my fingers to test how cut resitant these are as I will continue to observe the handling as if I were not wearing any protection.  These are suppose to be better than the Kevlar coated.  For my fingers' sake, I hope so.  :-[ 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

bigredsmoker

Ordered mine on the 15th, got a call about the shipping charges on the 18th and I OK'd them. Still no slicer. I called this morning and the guy said he did not have anything in the UPS log for me the last 3 days. Said he had to check further and would call or e-mail what he finds out. I sure hope he says it shipped 4 days ago and will be her today. If it hasn't shipped, maybe they will spring for fed-ex or something. Seems like a long time to get out of the warehouse. Oh well, I guess I will just patiently wait.

bigredsmoker

Hey Giz, I have a Forschner Ultimate Shield glove that I got for using my Mandoline slicer. It too is very thin. I got a small size so it fits very tight to try and keep the dexterity. Seems pretty good, but I think I will need to get another one for handling the slicer blade. I too want to keep all of my fingers!

bigredsmoker

Just talked to a customer servce person on my slicer. It has not shipped yet, but she gave me more info. on these slicers. They are slicers that Cabela's sold and are actually re-furbished. they are replacing all of the circuit breakers in them due to the turning off after 20 minutes issue. They are cheap because they cannot sell them as new. It took them longer to ship because it is taking longer than they anticipated to replace the circuit breaker and then test the unit to make sure everything is in working order. This makes me feel better that it is the exact same one Cabela's had their name on. I am also glad that it has the new circuit breaker, which I didn't understand was the cas from previous posts in this thread. She said it is shipping today!!

Good service from this company in my opinion. They had a very helpful attitude on the phone.

Terry