Ground Beef Fattys

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 14, 2008, 02:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Well I think boogered this up...still very good, but I hit 160 IT in about 45 mins. so in my infinite wisdom lets chill and hit 170, well all said and done 180-two-ish and 2 hrs. on smoke 6:30 till 8:30.  So did I ramp out to high to start???  Thats what I'm thinking...and pull at160/170 no matter how long i've been on....right??

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

bullsi1911

Did a variation on the fatties last weekend where I mixed half a pound of ground bacon in with the meat, and I split the 1/3 cup cold water into half cold water, half cayenne hot sauce (Crystal).  Came out REALLY good and spicy.

westexasmoker

I still think I messed this up, as far as the ramped up temp??? Help anyone, right or wrong?? But I can say that crumbled into getti sauce tonight is smell'in fab..But still curious should I take the temp slow.?? up to 160 IT or quick and 160 IT for the fatty slow from the get go, kinda like salmon??  Taste was excellent, but consistenat(spl) not right( see other post, a little overcooked and dry) :-[ Give me a grill  ;D and its like a burger but give me a smoke, what the heck did I miss???  Hit the IT temp and pull no matter what the time has been,or slow myself(butt, thats my butt) down and then hit IT, I thought it was better to hit your IT(with ground anything) as quick as possible???  Help it will be done again!!!  I was almost there!!! (ok, well past there)
Thanks

C

Habanero Smoker

With ground meats such as fatties, meatloaf, sausage etc, if you didn't add TQ or pink salt, you should not cook it below a temperature of 225°F. Ideally you would want the meat to come up to 160°F as quickly as possible.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

The getti sauce was awesome, with the overcooked fatties , and as I was told from the Pres. aka Boss (wife)  or nevermind  ;D , your not gotta use that hot stuff again!!  Cooked up some t'mater sauce 2 cps diced maters and 1 cup mater sauce 1 cup water 1/2 sweet onion  and (all the spices already in the fatties) 2 bay leaves and a smidge of garlic and italian seasoning to a simmer...an hour or so..crumble leftover fatties in (about 1.5 2 lbs), and simmer for an hour or longer if you want, the more you simmer the more the flavor...if need be add some water..all depinds on a thick sauce or thin.  Some garlic bread and cherry peppers on the side!!  ;D She did'nt like the some of the fatties...They were to HOT....but the sauce simmered them down, and the best part was the smoked flavor, which had to come from smoked one night and then chilled one day!!

I can say next time they are out of there at 160 IT,.....hmmm might need to do this weekend..oh crap got a brisket and ribs to do!!!!  ;D

Thanks guys!!!

C

Smoking Duck

Hey Nepas (or anyone else for that matter),

When you're grinding the bacon into the gb (or venison in my case), does it matter which grinding plate you use (coarse, medium or fine)?  I was just wondering.  This is my first time using my Cabelas grinder and wondered if it mattered.  I would assume to use at least a medium since the venison is already ground but hate assuming anything.  Also, when using powdered milk, do you grind it in with the rest of your ingredients or wait until venison and bacon are ground in and then add?

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

NePaSmoKer

SD

I use the medium plate.

nepas

snowmon

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 14, 2008, 02:38:09 PM
Here is my basic ingredients for my fattys.

1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp onion powder
dash of cayanne
dash of chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or more to taste
1/8 tsp cure
1/8 tsp sodium bicarbonate
1/3 cup cold water

I was just wondering what the cure is here. Just wanting to get my smokin pantry stocked up for these special occassions

Mr Walleye

Snowmon

The cure he is referring to is cure #1 - (aka pink salt, Instacure No. 1, Prague powder #1 or DQ curing salt #1). All these cures are considered Cure #1 and their formula is the same - 93.75% salt and 6.25% nitrite.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

snowmon

I've never seen these things. Of course I probley haven't been looking for these things. Where would a person probley find them at???????????

Buck36

This may be a dumb question but is Tenderquick the same as Instacure #1?

....if not can I still use it as a replacement since it is in the pantry?

FLBentRider

TenderQuick and cure #1 are not the same. They are similar. They are NOT interchangable on a 1:1 basis. I would defer to habs on this one or I'll go look up the ratios.

TenderQuick is usually .5 oz per LB, cure #1 is 1 oz per 25 lb

TenderQuick has salt, nitrate, nitrite and sugar

Cure #1 has salt and nitrate.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Buck36 on July 18, 2008, 04:32:20 PM
This may be a dumb question but is Tenderquick the same as Instacure #1?

....if not can I still use it as a replacement since it is in the pantry?

FLBentRider covered everything. Tenderquick is a cure mix, and the recommended amount to mix in ground beef is 1 1/2 teaspoons, as to Cure #1 which you only need to use 1/4 teaspoon.

Also with TQ being a blend, that contains a greater volume of salt, when you substitute TB for Cure #1 you should eliminate or reduce any other salt that is called for in the recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Buck36

Thanks for the information! I am new to the curing process but after trying Hab's CB, I am eager to learn as much as possible!

iceman

Just pulled some fatties out of the smoker after dinner last night. I used Nepas recipe only added ground bacon to it. WOW!!!
We ended up eating a second dinner!!!
Good eats Nepa. Thanks.  :)