Ground Beef Fattys

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 14, 2008, 02:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeDogg

Quote from: snowmon on July 18, 2008, 04:26:16 PM
I've never seen these things. Of course I probley haven't been looking for these things. Where would a person probley find them at???????????

Can anyone answer this? 

Also, how are these eaten/served?  Hot, cold, with what, etc.  Really interested in trying a fatty.  Any other tips or recommendations would be great!

Mr Walleye

Any type of sausage supply store will stock cure #1. I would look in your yellow pages and give them a call to see if you can find some locally. You can order it on line as well. Here are a couple online stores.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1468

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=237_12&products_id=56

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SmokeDogg

So the cure is optional right?  Also, what does it do for the fatty?  Does it make it more sausage like than meatloaf like?  I also noticed that Nepas doesn't use powdered milk in this recipe, but does in other.  I want to make these but I want to get it right too.

Thanks!!!

westexasmoker

I believe the powdered milk helps with shinkage, its not absoultely neccessary....don't worry ya can't really screw up a fatty, the biggest thing is to not overcook it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

snowmon

If you are using ground beef, Do you still need to add #1 cure?  Or would this only be needed if using pork?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: snowmon on July 22, 2008, 07:52:08 PM
If you are using ground beef, Do you still need to add #1 cure?  Or would this only be needed if using pork?

When cooking ground meat, and you do not use a cure it is recommended that you smoke/cook at a temperature of no less then 225°F (higher would be better). You need to get to center of the meat up to the 140°F mark in as short of time as possible, and continue to cook until you reach 160°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokeDogg

I found this recipe on Morton's website under recipes for Tenderquick. Its about the same as Nepas except for a few spices which you could add in and its in the oven but would be done the Bradley instead.

Beef Salami
Ingredients
1 pound of ground beef
1 1/2 level teaspoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix
1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions

Combine all ingredients mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide in half. Shape each half into slender rolls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap.
Bake on broiler pan at 325 degrees F (or smoke in your Bradley) until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160 degrees F, 50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator. Use within 3 to 5 days or freeze for later use.

I see Tenderquick and salt is used in this fatty.

Smokin Soon

Trying to dream up a fatty with Linguisa, onion and a cheese of some sort. Open a Linguisa and roll it in the middle, or just mix with the ground meat. Any suggestions for cheese? Would this mix use a dash of TQ well? Creative minds are plentiful here!

La Quinta

I'd go with pepper jack...linguica is a wonderfully perfumed sausage with the clove alone (just made some a couple weeks ago)...but lacks heat...but...I like the spice/heat. Mine were in casings...so...don't know if that works for ya! If you just made the mix...then yes...mix it with your basic ground sausage!!! YUM!! I'd add pickled jalepenos to that stuffing as well...but that's my taste preference!! Not too hot...the smoke mellows everybody out a bit!!  :)

Smokin Soon

LQ, I was thinking to turn up the heat with some korean pepper flakes, they are great if you cand find. Hell yes I'm gonna do a linguisa, pepperjack cheese , green onion, just a few green pepps, Will report with pics next weekend.

La Quinta

Very kool Smokin Man!!! Korean pepper flakes? Holy cow man you are goin' hot!! I think Giz has some crazy hot peppers from huh...that are really hot! I like to taste the ingredients...(call me a wimp) but....I like spice...hot isn't really necessary. But...I'm a girl...like to taste the fatty...not the peppers?  ??? Just a thought.

coleman

I tried making some fatty's a couple of days ago.  They turned out pretty good.  I didn't have any cure at the time(just arrived in the mail today), so I used a Hi-Mountain Jerky mix (pepper blend) and followed their directions for ground meat.  I don't have a scale to weigh the meat so I just eye-balled it, leaning to side of more meat for the reccomended ingredients per pound.  I stuffed a couple with a mixture of cut-up and soaked dry 0take mushrooms, ground up bacon, smoked cheddar, and pepperjack cheese.  I would have taken some pictures but they didn't last that long. ;) ;D  Glad I found this site, there's alot of good information and people here.

Dan

KyNola

Coleman,
Welcome to the forum.  We're glad you found us too.   You can teach us all something.

KyNola

La Quinta

Welcome Dan...nice to have ya "in the family"  :)

chrispy

Nepa,

Your picture of the dry mix looks like it has bread crumbs, but the recipe does not call for it.  How much do you use??  I can probably wing it, as it is pretty much like meatloaf.  It looks great!!  I may give it a stab today.

Thanks,

Chrispy