Pulled pork timing

Started by dscarry, February 15, 2008, 11:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dscarry

I'm doing (as in previous post) 2 butts (6 & 7lbs).

I've seen people mention times anywhere from 10 -20 hours for that size.

What should I estimate?

LilSmoker

Hi there, it's quite difficult to give times with big cuts of meat, as there's lots to consider, fat content?, bone in or out? cooking temp etc, but i would say expect at least 14 hours.

Whenever i'm doing shoulder/butts, i choose a time when i'm not working next day, i start smoking/cooking about 4 hours before i intend going to bed. After 4 hours of smoking, i change the water bowl with fresh hot water, if there's more than one butt cooking, i rotate them quickly, close the door and go to bed.

After that, i let the Bradley do it's thing until the meat hits 190F, then i remove and FTC for a couple of hours or so before pulling etc.  ;)

This is making me very hungry, think i'll pay the butcher a visit, and see what the pork situation is  ;D

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

MoSmoke

Dscarry
I would go with the time closer to 16 to 18 hours.
If it gets done a couple of hours earlier FTC the bad boys a little longer.
Like it was stated above the fat content causes them to stall at the plateau (around 160 degrees)
for 3 or 4 hours. After that it's a slow steady climb to the 190 degree mark.
I usually take the time that I'm going to serve them and back off 18 hours for butts in that size range.
After sitting in the fridge over night with a rub on them I also just take them out put them in the smoker and don't even preheat the smoker. I monitor the temps with a remote thermometer and usually sleep through most of the overnight process.

Good luck

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".