My setup

Started by Kane, January 12, 2008, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotheryyy

Ive read this entire thread, where am I missing the discussion on the plugs?

Habanero Smoker

Mike;
Thanks for the link. I'll read it latter.

Kane;
Yes. The barometric pressure changes frequently. The thing that will remain or should remain constant is the elevation. It just a tool to use when someone is going through the steps to calibrate, or to check the accuracy of the instrument you are testing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

Thanks again for that link. I haven't seen any documentation on the "Snap To" feature.  I wasn't aware of the "Snap" feature. I'm not one to watch the display constantly; so I would not have ever caught it. :)

I can see that being an important feature for wood/charcoal smokers, where the control is not as precise as with a small electric smoker. With the DigiQ II high accuracy thermocouples, and taking a reading as frequent as it does, it may be annoying to some to see the temperature bounce back and forth. As the article states, +3°F is minimal, especially for a wood/charcoal smoker.

But even with the "Snap" feature it is easy to tell what the DigiQ II is doing by looking at the Blower Status Indicator. By looking at that light the DigiQ II will indicate if it is applying heat, and at what rate. At a longer distance you can tell to some extent of what the DigiQ II is doing by looking at the pilot light on the Raptor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

brotheryyy

Hey guys, this is the first im really seeing of the existence of these modifyers and im really interested but hesitant as to its real functionality.
  Has there really been a major improvement in your products since making these changes? Whats the biggest factor, besides accuracy does it help the unit rebound quicker? In that one photo it looks as if your not using the units original heater element at all is that correct?
    I was hoping this system might help when I load the smoker full at work, i mean when all 4 shelves are full the unit takes forever to reach the designated temp. Will the raptor package make it more feasable to pull off larger smokes with more coordination? or does it only streamline the variable once it GETS to temp? I hate blowing money for anything frivilous i guess I would like some scenario testimonies. any help?

Kane

hey brotheryyy,

being that I just upgraded to the DigiQ/Raptor I dont have much experience with it yet. Im sure Hab will jump in on this as well. but this setup is not gonna help you reach set temps any faster when you open the Bradleys door or when your doing a fully loaded smoke. The benefit is you wont see the BIG temp swings. The DigiQ will hold within a couple degrees of your target temp.  The extra power cable needed to make this work will plug into the back of the Bradley tower and than into the Raptor and what happens is the Raptor supplies power to your heating element when its needed to hold your target temp where you want it.

Habanero Smoker

Hi brotheryyy;

You did not mention which smoker you have. I have the original. With the DigiQ II I can set it to full power and not have to worry about adjusting the temperature control; but the Raptor/DigiQ II will not provide more heat than your unit can produce. It can make it almost as close as set it and forget it as you can get. Many of us use the temperature control devise to obtain more precise temperatures for smoking sausage, bacon, hams, fish etc.; so in that respect it is very much an important functional accessory. While others want more precise, and consistent temperature. It's a personal judgement if a temperature control devise is necessary.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

brotheryyy

Oh, my bad. I have the 4 shelf digital model and I havent done any cured meats YET. I  actually just got my prague powder and etc to do , well first a pastrami then id like to do some bacons. So the temp flux can vary the finished product? even just the couple of degrees huh?

Kane

"Snap mode" can be shut off by holding the down key and pit key at the same time when the pit temp is displayed.

Kane

got some chicken breasts going for dinner here and the setup is workin great.  Im very happy with my decision.  Once the temp got back up after loading DigiQ is holding +/- 1 degree off my 210 set temp

Mr Walleye

Kane

Glad to hear you got it dialed in. Are you using it without the "Snap Mode" or with?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Kane

I have the snap mode off.

Habanero Smoker

Mine must have been shipped with the snap mode disabled. I was watching closely my last two smokes when I was smoking some Bratwurst, and Canadian bacon. My DigiQ II was showing actual temperature readings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kane

The DigiQ has a built in diagnostic mode that can be enabled by pressing the DOWN and PIT keys simultaneously while displaying the pit temperature. The diagnostic mode provides the following two functions: Provides chirp a when the control has done an adaptation calculation and a more sensitive display of the pit temperature.

Mr Walleye

Habs

I wonder if it was a software update that included the "snap" mode that wasn't available until after you purchased yours?

Is there any was to read the software version or may be just try turning it on to see if it's there. Around the time when you bought yours I don't recall ever reading anything about the snap mode. It was more recently that I read about it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Yes;the version of software is displayed. When you plug the DigiQ into an outlet, as it boots it will display 000. The next screen will briefly display the version. My version is V07. The DigiQ will only boot after the power has been disconnected then reconnected, it will not display that screen by just turning it on and off.

At the time I ordered Fred said that would be the version for some time, because he had been testing the DigiQ in the field for 5 years (I believe that is what he said). He may have changed the default settings after receiving some feed back by customers. If new versions of software are developed, I will have the option of sending my unit back for an update; I sure there will be a fee. I wished he had included a mini USB port so that customers could update the software themselves.

I
         don't
                   inhale.