need some advise

Started by zxactly, February 16, 2008, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zxactly

Im breaking in my bradley this morning I would like to smoke a pork butt or loin tomorrow Brine or dry rub?  ??? what temp how long 3-4 lbs
thanks
zxactly
zxactly

FLBentRider

I brine mine for 24 to 36 hours, thne put a rub on them, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight. Then into the Bradley (200 to 225) for 8 hours of Hickory, then as much time as it takes to get to 190 internal temp of the meat. Out of the Bradley, wrap with Foil, wrap that with a towel, then into a cooler for at least an hour or two. I have taken them out of the cooler after fouror five hours and they are still to hot to pull....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

3rensho

I use a dry rub on my butts, usually one from Smoke 'n Spice.  Box temp of 210F (controlled with PID) and cook to an IT of 185-190 (measured with a Maverick).  Generally three hours of smoke.  How long??  That varies.  I'd count on a good 10-11 hours.  Can always FTP if it done early.  Allow plenty of time and don't get impatient when the IT plateaus at 168 or so.  Low and slow are the key to juicy, tender meat.  Enjoy and welcome to the forum. 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

zxactly

Thanks for the info...
Should I brine all meats before I put them in the Smoker?

For our debut, we decided to smoke turkey legs.  I did not brine them, but used a dry rub.  I smoked them for two and-a-half hours and now they are cooking at 225* 
the hard part so far is not peeking...
I plan on taking them out for a temperature check after four hours...
Any suggestions?  Comments?  Something I should do differently?
zxactly

Gizmo

Quote from: zxactly on February 16, 2008, 02:35:18 PM
Should I brine all meats before I put them in the Smoker?

Any suggestions?  Comments?  Something I should do differently?

No you don't need to brine all meats.  The end product is what will determine the starting point.  Brining can accomplish several tasks depending on what you desire.  Food Preservation, food protection, flavor enhancing, and added moisture.
In my general opinion, long brines are used for food preservation as in curing.  Short brines are used for food protection (killing or preventing bacteria while the food is in a danger zone temperature wise) and to add flavor and moisture into the meat.

Turkey legs are good both ways.  If you like them with more moisture, you will want to brine them next time. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Zxactly;

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't already have one, purchase a probe thermometer. With a probe you can monitor the meat temperature of at least one turkey leg, maybe prevent over cooking, and not have to guess on the time. Many of us have purchased either the Maverick ET-73 or the ET-72 remote probe thermometer. I take my turkey legs to 162°F - 165°F.

Poultry is one meat that benefit from either wet or dry brining, fish and lean pork also benefit. Turkey legs have enough connective tissue and fat to keep the meat moist. As Gizmo stated, if you want these cuts to be more moist, then brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

I've made dozens of pork butts, all with a simple dry rub. I rub a thin layer of yellow mustard over the entire surface than cover with a rub made from brown sugar, paprika, kosher salt, granulated garlic, lemonade powder, onion powder, black pepper, ancho chili powder, cayenne powder, cumin and some thyme. Park in the fridge overnight.

If you don't have all those in your spice rack, feel free to substitute. No need for high dollar rubs with a fancy name in a fancy container. Sam's Club used to carry Durkee brand "Rib Rub" in a big container. It was cheap and tasted pretty darn great. Had the same basic ingredients as described above. Most pork rubs do. I'll use that if I run out of rub or I'm just too lazy to mix more. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

-Brian