Vacuum Sealers

Started by FLBentRider, February 16, 2008, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I was wondering what unit y'all that use the use ? I would use it for the usual uses, with a family of six, Sams clubs is our grocery store.

I am trying to decide which one to buy. (prices from Cabelas)

FoodSaver GameSaver Sport $99.99

FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe $139.99

FoodSaver GameSaver Pro $189.99

FoodSaver GameSaver Turbo $279.99

From what I understand, the basic differences are power, speed and the number of bags you can do before the pump gets too hot...

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigredsmoker

I bought my foodsaver from Sam's a few years ago. I think it was around $139 at the time and was a pretty good deal as I recall. I did like 20 bags of cheese and on some I had to wait maybe 10 seconds or so to be able to seal the next one. It was not a big deal at all. Check prices at Sam's if they still have them.

Terry

Habanero Smoker

flbentrider;

Welcome to the forum.

I also purchased my Food Saver from Sam's. It's a good deal, and a good sealer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nodak

I just bought a professional III online from reccomendation of several friends who said it was the best food saver on on the market, paid around $220.00, was looking at the cabelas for $399 but more expensive bags.  My friends do a lot of deer and said the cheaper food saver models didn't perform or holdup as well, not to waste my $'s on them.

hillbillysmoker

I have the Foodsaver V2440 and purchased it from Amazon. I am well satisfied.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

I just noticed our Sam's has the same food saver I bought a few weeks ago from Target (don't remember the model #) about $20 cheaper, plus it comes with a canister and a couple of rolls of bags. A good deal, but just my luck...

KyNola

Bought the FoodSaver Pro at Gander Mountain.  Really satisfied with it.

KyNola

Lefty_Smoker

I'd go with one of the newer style units that offer the user much more control over the vacuuming and sealing process.  Several of the models listed above only offer the fully automatic vacuuming and sealing functions, which are pretty limiting imho. 

If you are going to be vacuuming and sealing moist/wet items then make sure the unit you select has the seperate "pulse" and "seal" buttons which can be operated independantly by you.  The units that have the fully automatic settings can't deal with moist/wet/liquids nearly as well.  Truthfully, this is the ONLY way I vacuum and seal now.  I never use the automatic settings anymore unless I'm doing something simple like a block of cheese or similar.   

Personally, I really like the new V2860.