Good morning everyone, lunch is about 1-ish

Started by SmokinMoe, November 21, 2004, 03:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Oh you guys! That Boston Butt is smelling so good this morning I can hardly contain myself.  Have you ever smelled someone BBQ'ing and wished you could get something to smell that good?  Well, I think I just beat out the neighborhood!!
It is hanging at 175 right now at 12 hours, I used maple pucks (4 hours worth) and used a rub from Smoke and Spice.   I cooked it at 205ish and the guru is working its magic.
I know that it can be done with other things alot more cheaply, but if you can get it, I love it.  I set it and went to bed.  It is right at where it should be and I didn't have to sit up all night for it.  I can hardly keep myself away from it because the smell is so good.  I will let you know, I think it might take longer than the 12 hours I planned and I still have to wrap it for a couple of hours.
HOW ADDICTING, bring your appetites!!
Thanks for all the help, I couldn't have done it without you and the forum!!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

ON MY WAY! you have to take a picture and show us, if you are running out of time turn off the slow ramp mode , once it hits the 25% of being done then it slows the temp down so you can forget it, but now that you are up , you can turn off the slow ramp mode and gain an hour or two, bill please chim in here ,
ps what else are we having for lunch?

nsxbill

You can turn off the ramp and push it, but remember, I am the advocate of letting it's temp raise slowly.  The heck with lunch. Let it go to temp and then eat at 3 or 4 p.m.  That extra time, allows all the tough connective tissue to break down.  It is worth the wait to me.  If you have people coming over, smokehouse Rob's advice is the way to go.  

Now that you are going to have some good butt leftovers, time to try some ABT's this week.  I know I am going to do about 3 dozen to cook on Thanksgiving day with leftover butt from my last roast.

I am so happy that it is working for you.  Clap clap Clap!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SmokinMoe

I pushed just a LITTLE and it was done in 14 hours versus 12 I had originally thought it would take.
I was so worried over that little guru that I sat by it and watched (like a boiling pot)
I went out to the shop to do a little work and my Darling Husband came and said, "It's ready, the guru is beeping". I almost ran him down trying to get to the Bradley.  
On a little side-note here, this must be how men feel when they grill.  If so, then no wonder you won't share it with the wives!!
Anyhow, I exercised extreme patience and foiled and toweled it up, and it will come out of the cooler in 25 minutes!!
I am getting the bbq sauce recipe from that inn someone posted the other day and I will let you know the results! Has anyone ever eaten a whole Butt in the first sitting? LOL I haven't had lunch and can't wait.

Oldman

See how you all ragging about your dinner this is the ham I T-shirt Smoked earlier this week.

I was spooning some more sauce over it when I thought why not just take a pic and post it!

<b>Before it went into the oven.</b>

<b>Still have about 2 1/2 - 3 hours yet to go.</b>

The sauce is made up from the pineapple juice, cinnamon, brown sugar, white raisins, and lightly thicken with arrow root. [:p] The sauce has very light smoked flavor now. Baking it @ 195 degrees.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

dow-oldman. can you post the recipe for your sauce ? have a 20lb ham wraped in t-shirt right now getting ready to smoke once the jerky gets done,

nsxbill

Damn, Dow!

I thought you were posting up another bouquet for the little woman!  That's looks pretty darn good.  Even without the cherries it would look good!

I am waiting to hear from SmokinMoe on how much of that butt she put down for lunch.  All you expected?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

I really don't have a recipe. The amounts all depend on how much pineapple juice you have to work with.

First I add my brown sugar. In this case I had about 1/2 can of pineapple jucie so I added 4 good size tablespoons of brown sugar. Next I added about 1/4 cup of raisins. Placed on high heat and brought it to a boil. Reduce heat to low to allow time for the raisins soften up. Once they were soft I add a dash of cinnamon. Turn heat back up and as it started to boil I sprinkled a little arrow root to thicken it lightly.

This whole process is under 8-10 minutes. If you have not used arrow root before use it lightly in the beginning. You can always add more. And unlike corn-starch it does not need to be made into a "white-wash" before you can use it.

Olds
EDIT You can add cloves to it. However, I personally don't like ground cloves. The reason I did not add cloves this time was I have about 30 whole cloves stuck into that little ham already. When I do use whole cloves in the sauce then I just keep it on low heat longer until I can just begin to think I can taste the cloves.  

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SmokinMoe

Mr. Brown is STAYIN' at my house from now on!!
A very ROUSING success.
Oh my gosh, could it be that good?  I have NEVER had a pork anything come out that juicy and flavorful.  We were all fighting over the bark and the smoke flavor was just delicious!!
I am now one of you guys!!
Woo Hoo!!!!
We ate over half of a 7 lb. butt and I think if I had one more bite I would be sick.
Even my 5 year old daughter was licking her fingers and asking for more.
My little 3 year old son walked around the house calling for Mr. Brown, because I told him Mr. Brown was coming for lunch.  LOL
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING!!  It was definitely the best pork I have had and the wrap thing was so hard to do, but I wanted it done right.
My husband, who probably rolled his eyes when he saw the initial money output and also thought I would not be very good at it, kept saying it was good.  He is excited about it now.  He hates pork, but he just kept getting more and more.
I want to try salmon, but the brining thing is a little scary.
Dow,
You look like you are ready for Hawaii and the tourists.  It looks great.
I am just so happy, no wonder you guys are addicted to it, I am for sure now!!

SmokinMoe

Dennbq,
That sauce was awesome! I had to tweak it some and use apple cider vinegar in it (which I like for carolina bbq anyway) because I didn't have the other kind.  Since I have small kids, I used about a 1/4th of the chili powder and it was WONDERFUL.  My husband even liked it and he doesn't care much for many sauces.
Thanks for posting it.  It made my Boston Butt even better, and I ate about half with the sauce and half without the sauce.  What a great lunch it turned out to be.

Oldman

SmokinMoe

We are all proud for you young lady! IMO it takes a lot something to go out and purchase a Bradley and not have a smokin' background.

Your success is another example of how women pay attention to detail...again Congrats~~!

So with all that been said and with no further adieus, please accept The Bradley's new Chef's Award!

nsxbill

I am so pleased it came out well.  I can only say....... "I told you so!"

Salmon is so easy.  It was the first thing I ever tried.  The BS was ordered while we were in Alaska on a cruise.  It was delivered a couple of days after we go home.  No Guru for the temp control.  I have used both Kummok's recipe:  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120I
I also used Fuzzy Bear's recipe.  It is posted here: http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=440

Fuzzy's was not as good as Kummok's, but it was still excellent.

It is important to allow the fish to dry and form a pellicle prior to putting it in the cabinet.  Raves from my Co-workers whom I shared samples.  I work with a bunch of nurses.  One took a bite, rolled up her eyes and announced she was "moist." [:I] Went on and on how good the Salmon was.  Yes, we have a good time when not on phone with patients.

Kummok lives in Alaska and has lots of experience with the best Salmon.  I know what I bought at Sams and Costco was the same in name only, but it really smoked up nicely.

Go for it.  It is easy and delicious.  Make sure to have a vacuum sealer handy.  You are on a honeymoon with the Bradley now and will be trying lots of new things.[:I][:I].  You might want to seal some up and freeze for later.

Well, got to go.  I have had ribs in since 1100hrs and it is now 1700hrs.  Pit temp is maintaining exactly 210° and meat temp is 178°...only 12° degrees away fron nivana.  I am going to give them a good basting at 180° because I like that sticky coating.  Have the Alaskan Amber very cold from the freezer with that little frost that tells you it is just about frozen.  

It should be great!  I will shoot a picture at 180° when I am basting.

I am so pleased at your success!  Glad it was a good experience. [:p][:p]  We know that your little piggy didn't go to the maket!

Bill