rib smoke ideas asap

Started by bigredsmoker, February 23, 2008, 08:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I want to try something other than apple on some ribs today, and want to know what everyone else is using. I have a full compliment of pucks to choose from. I was thinking of maybe going all hickory, but don't want it to be overpowering. Ideas please!
Thanks! 

Terry

KyNola

I vote for going all hickory.  I love hickory on ribs.  Tomorrow I'm putting 3 hours of apple smoke on 8 pounds of pork belly that has been curing for 7 days in TQ, brown sugar and maple syrup.  First attempt at belly bacon.

Enjoy those ribs, the hickory will be a killer!

KyNola

Mr Walleye

Hi Terry

I use Hickory on ribs a fair bit. Sometimes I alternate between Hickory and Apple as well. It's kinda a personal taste thing but I do like hickory on them. It is a little stronger so you might want to go lighter on them for your first test run. When I use Hickory on ribs I usually use 2 hours 40 minutes (8 Pucks) for my taste.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

I've used pecan, maple, apple and hickory, or combinations of these.  If not apple, I like a combo of maple and pecan.  Good luck.
Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

About half an hour ago, I was going to suggest Pecan with maybe an Oak added in each hour that you're going to smoke, but I've changed my mind and suggest Cherry, just to be different. ;D

bigredsmoker

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go with..............hickory. I haven't done an all hickory smoke yet so it is time to do one. Got the DBS pre-heating and have 2:40 worth of hickory loaded. once the meat is in it should be close enough to Noon to have an adult beverage.
(let's see how long it takes for sparks to chime in now that I've typed the magic words) :D

Mr Walleye

It's probably noon somewhere in the world right now!  ;)

At least that's my theory!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Arcs_n_Sparks

Did someone say beverage?

And according to my watch, it's after 12:00 on the east coast.

bigredsmoker

Quote(let's see how long it takes for sparks to chime in now that I've typed the magic words) 

30 minutes....is that some sort of a record??? :D

West Coast Kansan

Sparky is can be trusted to the last drop. 

Have some ribs with Oak and Maple going now.  Should be tasty.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

KyNola

Bigred,
I'm thinking you may have set the record with the LATEST response time from Sparkey when the term adult beverage is in a post.  You will not go wrong with Hickory on those  ribs.  They will be great.  Smoke on!

What do you say, Spark?  Were you asleep? :D

KyNola

Arcs_n_Sparks

I say it is almost happy hour.....

KyNola

Spark,
It's always 5:00 somewhere!

KyNola