PID for DBS question

Started by bigredsmoker, February 26, 2008, 07:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I am considering getting a PID for my DBS. I am handy enough I could probably build one, but is there an easier way? Can you just buy a "plug and play" PID? I would just as soon pay a little more and have something that works out of the box. I have been trying to research, but I am getting information overload. I am tired of the wide temperature swings I am getting now with my DBS. Thanks for the help!

Terry

Tiny Tim

Hey Red...I don't consider myself as handy as you sound like you are, and I built mine with no issues other than a fuse blew the first time I plugged it in (wasn't paying attention when I put the fuses in).

If you would need a hand, you could bring the parts up here and I'll help ya put it together (I don't want the liability of building it for you).

Kane

you could always just spend a lil extra and get a DigiQ/Raptor setup. Im happy with mine

http://www.thebbqguru.com/index.cfm

Mr Walleye

The PID is really not dificult to build. I do agree with Kane though, if your lookin' for plug & play I would go with the DIGIQ and Raptor by BBQ Guru.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Big Red,
I'm with you except I'm not handy enough to even consider building a PID and not sure I'm even smart enough to hook up a bbqguru/raptor but I know I'm tired of the temp swings on the DBS.

KyNola

Arcs_n_Sparks

You guys can do it. Mr. Walleye will provide top cover, and a bunch of others will guard your flank. As long as you don't use your tongue to sense voltage (9V batteries anyone?), you will get across the finish line.

Mr. Heathkit

yul

;)  Go for it Bigred, I know it looks a bit daunting when you first look at it but there is so much help on this board that you can't go wrong. Just remember to use a computer power cord and not the regular household extension cord. (bin there...done that..) ;D
Brian. Montreal.

fatluke

I'm a wee bit confused when you speak of the DigiQ/Raptor combo. Can anyone tell me if this is the item you are referring to, or is there two items to purchase and combine?
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=49&idproduct=166#details

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: fatluke on March 06, 2008, 11:54:39 AM
I'm a wee bit confused when you speak of the DigiQ/Raptor combo. Can anyone tell me if this is the item you are referring to, or is there two items to purchase and combine?
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=49&idproduct=166#details

They changed their site, and I can not find the Raptor/DigiQ II package. The link you provided show most of the options for the Raptor. It shows the Raptor, the Pit Minder, ProComm4; but it's an old photo that displays the Competitor which is no longer made. The DigiQII has replaced the Competitor.

This is a picture of the DigiQ II
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc_test/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=49&idproduct=235

This is a picture of the Raptor.
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc_test/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=48&idproduct=167

You need both for the DigiQ II to operate your smoker. When buying a package you get a small discount, so if you are planning of purchasing I would call and ask for the package price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bigredsmoker

Thanks for all the info. guys. Does anyone have a simple price comparison of what it cost to build and then what a digiQII/raptor would cost? Just some ballpark figures would be nice. Thanks

Mr Walleye

BigRed

The DigiQ and Raptor combo is around $269. To build a PID... It depends on the TC you use and where you live. For me here in Canada I think I spent around $150 rounding up the parts. I know some of the members in the USA have built them for under $100.

Mike

Tiny Tim

I think I spent right at $80 with my nice score on the thermocouple on ebay.  Can get you NAPA part numbers for the terminal strip and fuse holders if you want them too.

Big Dawgg

Why does the DBS have this big swing in temps. Is it cheap components in it that cause this? I am just amazed that a $500.00 smoker that is all digital can have an $80=$100 PID put on it so easily and fix this problem. ???
Dawgg

Mr Walleye

Big Dawgg

That's the million dollar question!

In all fairness though for most situation the DBS temp swings really have no effect on the finished product. Even your home oven has temp swings, you just don't see them unless you put a temp probe in there. For me... I just have to tinker! If something can perform better... I have to play!  ::) It's almost mandatory!  :D

Mike

Big Dawgg

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 08, 2008, 01:49:58 PM
For me... I just have to tinker! If something can perform better... I have to play!  ::) It's almost mandatory!  :D

Mike

Sounds like me. As long as the wife don't know about it I will be OK. She may not think to much of me putting another $100 or so bucks into the smoker I had to have. I will probably put a PID on in the near future.

Don't tell her Mack ;)
Dawgg