PID for DBS question

Started by bigredsmoker, February 26, 2008, 07:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Dig Dawwg, I had the same question when I first got mine.  Didn't understand why they couldn't put better control on it.  There weren't many digital owners on the forum when I first joined so there wasn't much advertisement on the swings other than the originals and PID controls.  I don't mind it so much any more.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

I have the original BS in stainless.  I got used to the slider but I found the temp swings frustrating on my over night smokes, and I never could trust it enough to leave the house for a few hours.  Finally got a PID and all the frustration and worries are over.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

QuoteFinally got a PID and all the frustration and worries are over.

Could be a good or bad thing.

If the wife finds out that you no longer have to sit beside the smoker with a cooler full of beverages, that would be bad. 'Yes Sparks.... I said beverages, ice cold just begging to be drank.' LOL.

Good if she doesn't find out how much easier things are now.

Mine is almost done, I need to bring a few feet of thermocouple extention wire home from work, wire that into the controller and jack and it's ready to be tested.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: pensrock on March 09, 2008, 06:53:18 AM
'Yes Sparks.... I said beverages, ice cold just begging to be drank.' LOL.

Since it is a little too early, I have loaded your message into my auto-prompt repeat message command and control center. It will remind me at the appropriate time...   :D

Wildcat

Quote from: pensrock on March 09, 2008, 06:53:18 AM
QuoteFinally got a PID and all the frustration and worries are over.

Could be a good or bad thing.

If the wife finds out that you no longer have to sit beside the smoker with a cooler full of beverages, that would be bad. 'Yes Sparks.... I said beverages, ice cold just begging to be drank.' LOL.

Good if she doesn't find out how much easier things are now.

Mine is almost done, I need to bring a few feet of thermocouple extention wire home from work, wire that into the controller and jack and it's ready to be tested.

;D No problem with my wife.  She wants it to be as easy as possible so that I will do more smoking.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

yul

:)  Hi Mike, I was asked a question from a work mate about the Digital Smoker. He wanted to know why, when you had all bought the digital unit, you were still going to add a PID. I could not give a definite answer. Can you help?  ???
Brian. Montreal.

Tiny Tim

Because we want to. :D :D :D :D  Best answer would be to get a little tighter temperature control (temp swing of 2 degrees each way instead of about 10 or more each way), and be measuring it where you want to, rather than in a fixed position.

Keep in mind that your household oven will probably swing 10 degrees each way and have a fixed point for measuring that temperature.

By the way, your package is on it's way, although a day later than I wanted to as I didn't get it on Tuesday like I expected.

yul

;) Thanks Tim, we have the OBS on sale here in Canada and my friend was going to buy one but then he saw the digital unit and was thinking of going that route.
     :D Looking out for the package, can't wait to get started. We are still snow bound here.  ;D

Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Hi Brian

Tiny has pretty much answered it. I originally bought the DBS thinking it would have tighter control on the temps. The swings really have no effect of most items like butts or ribs or chicken. It does however, in my opinion, when you are trying to maintain lower temps for sausage or jerky, etc. Looking back on it now, the question always is, if you are going to add PID or someother type of control, why would you not by an OBS instead of a DBS? Certianly going with the OBS is a more economic option but here are a few things/advantages of starting with the BDS. Again, this is just my opinion.

The OBS tower has a habit of the front control panel cracking and allowing moisture in. The front feet are integrated into this panel and may be partially responsible for the problem. Although this could be easily modified. The bottom of the DBS has no wiring or controls in it and has 4 rubber feet.

When connecting your PID to the OBS, unless you rewire it, the slide control on the front of the cabinet is still in use. The DBS is wired directly to the heating element from the plug on the back of the cabinet.

With the DBS and a PID you have the ability built in to run your generator for a given period of time, then shut off automatically. Although you could easily do this with a simple timer on the OBS setup as well.

All in all, I don't think there is much difference and it all depends if you are like me and have to tinker with things until they do exactly what you want. If I was starting over.... hmmmm...... I'm not sure what I would start with. Probably the 6 rack DBS and mod the he11 out of it.  :D  :D  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Artmiester

I think Tiny and Mike nailed it. The only thing I could add is consistency when cooking and being able to plan overnight smokes with the timer on the DBS only going for 9:40. Did some timing and averaging before building my PID and it always seemed to be on the high side by about 10-15 degrees over 6 hours using a cabinet probe. Built 3 PID's now and it's so easy even a cave man could do it between Auber, Radioshack and Omega (per Smokin Rob's post). Just make sure you have the right SSR in there before you try to auto-tune. I'd only add that, when auto-tuning, bring it up to temperature with a simulated load (three bricks on the center rack) and locate a good probe (Omega) directly opposite the cabinet sensor. ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."