Author Topic: First Smoke !!!!!  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Big Mike

First Smoke !!!!!
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:34 AM »
Well, I finally got the time this past weekend to give this new BDS 6 rack a shot...a 6 pound butt with my home made rub and a couple of fatty's all smoked with apple.  All I can say is WOW, after 14 hours the butt was perfect!!!!  Thanks to all the reading I have done here.

Big Mike

Now I just gotta get some of Iceman's sauce!

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
Re: First Smoke !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
Glad to hear of your success; and you can't go wrong with Iceman's sauces.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline Kane

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »
good ta hear your first smoke was a success now on to the ribs! ;D

Offline Wildcat

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »
Congrats on the success!  Once you have tried Iceman's sauce and rub, you will never go back - to the old way that is.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Offline Mr Walleye

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
Congrats Big Mike!

Good luck in your future smokes too!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Offline La Quinta

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »
Congrats Big Mike...and yeah...you need the Ice sauce...(are you listening Iceman?) :)

Offline KyNola

• Moderation Team
  • KCBS CBJ
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »
Big Mike,
Congrats to you.  It's great to get that first one under your belt and have it turn out great.  Thanks for letting us know!

KyNola

Offline HCT

• Got Labs???
    • Could This Be Magic
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »
It's such a great feeling when your first smoke comes out perfect. Yup, the help here really makes it happen. Congrats. 8)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Offline iceman

• Member Extraordinaire
  • 9 out of 10 people like BBQ. The 10th person lied!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »
I just love to hear of those first smokes making a big hit with folks. Smoke cooking isn't just a variation to cooking, it's a whole new life style!  ;D ;)
Glad it turned out Big Mike.

Offline FLBentRider

• Member Extraordinaire
    • My Weather conditions
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
Congrats!

I remember my first one, the anticipation, wondering if it will turn out ok. Then tasting it and thinking, WOW, that was easy! . A lot less worry after the first one is done and digested.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Offline yul

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
 :) Must be nice to get that first smoke under your belt, glad it turned out OK.
My week end is a bust already, 30 – 40 cm of snow on the way. Enough already. ;)
Brian. Montreal.

Offline Blues Man

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:42:42 PM »
 I remember my first smoke with a Boston Butt. When I took it out of the smoker, I thought I had burnt it to a crisp! When I started pulling it apart, it looked great. Many smokes later, I know it's normal.

Enjoy your new toy!

Offline Wildcat

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
I remember my first smoke with a Boston Butt. When I took it out of the smoker, I thought I had burnt it to a crisp! When I started pulling it apart, it looked great. Many smokes later, I know it's normal.

Enjoy your new toy!

:D :D The first time I took some pulled pork to my mother, she looked at me with a silly grin and said "I see that I am not the only one in the family that tends to burn dinner a little".  She changed here toon after I explained the look and she had a taste of it.  Now I gotta take her some "burned pork" everytime I go there. ;D ;D

Offline Renegade

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »
Got First Smoke going right now (the seasoning process)!!! After the Seasoning Process comes the real First Smoke of a Beef Brisket (10 Hrs Worth)! I live in a Condo Complex & must say, so far in the First Smoke Preheat Process, I am Okay with the Minimal Smoke that is produced (top closure 99% closed)! If I look out from my deck, I do not see a cloud of smoke, which is very good. Kinda smells like someone has there fireplace going (we have fireplaces in our Condo Complex). That is a good thing, I was worried about too much smoke & the Fire Department being called on me! I am still a bit concerned about the amount of smoke if I am smoking Jerkey, as the top must be almost wide open to avoid moisture, so that may be a problem in the Condo Complex. I am thinking for the Jerkey, not so much of a problem, cause, I can put the smoke to the Jerkey Meat regardless of moisture & get the smoke in the meat & then take the meat to finish on my Dehydrator! Anyway, my first real smoke is about to began on the BDS (I have been wanting for 3 1/2 Yrs) and I am excited & hope my Beef Brisket turns out really good. I would like some feedback on how often I should check in on it & how often I should change the Water in the bowl.

Offline Wildcat

• Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »
Change the water once after all the wood pucks fall into it (assuming you are applying 3 to 4 hours of smoke).  During the smoking of the brisket, I recommend you keep the vent about 1/3 open.  The smoke that comes out will not be that bad.  If you have a remote probe for the meat, just keep an eye on that and leave the door closed.  I also recommend smoking/cooking at 200F box temp.  If you cook at that temp you can stop cooking at 185 and then FTC for 3 or 4 hours.  You will like the results.  You will notice that the meat temperature rise will stall and stay in the 160's for a long time.  Just be patient.