what smoker should I buy

Started by gotta cravin, March 15, 2008, 07:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotta cravin

Hi I am planning to buy a Bradley and was wondering which model is best fro me. It will be used inside in a restaurant kitchen
Thanks
wannabe

Ontrack

Welcome wannabe. The Bradley is an outdoor smoker that will have to be vented to the outside. In can't be used indoors without venting the smoke, or you'll be getting paid a visit from your local fire department. I suggest reading some of the posts on this forum about venting setups some of the members have done to see if the Bradley is right for you. 

gotta cravin

being that it is an idustrial kitchen it does have a vented hood, would this not be enough
W

Ontrack

I doubt it, unless there was some way that you could run a vent pipe from the smoker vent up into the hood, or have the top of the smoker very close to the bottom of the hood. It's really hard to say for sure without seeing your setup. Maybe some other members on here with a similar setup can give you a better answer.

Tiny Tim

As long as your hood draws really well, you should be okay.

If I was going to buy one for a restaurant type application, it would be the Original in Stainless Steel, and add a PID or other temp controller, to be able to set the heat to an actual number instead of a slider position.

Wildcat

Tiny has already expressed my take.  Welcome to the forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I was first introduced to the Bradley when I took a "food enthusiast" class at the Culinary Institute of America. The class was held in one of their kitchens. We had two Bradley's, a Weber kettle grill and a gas grill going at the same time; with no problems. So your industrial kitchen should be fine.

At the time the digital was not out yet, and the CIA was using the Original (black) model. I have the original with a temperature control device (Raptor/Guru [DigiQ II]); so I can't compare the two. If you describe how you will use the smoker, others could probably provide more information; such as are you just going to use it to apply a light smoke and finish cooking the product, or fully smoked products, or for sausage etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

wannabe-please pay attention to what TT, Wildcat, and Habs have to tell you. They have all forgotten more about the Bradley than I'll ever know. I was just posting a very uneducated opinion, and I hope I didn't steer you in the wrong direction. Enjoy this forum and ask any questions you may have, because somebody will have the RIGHT answer... :-[

SKSmoker

Look at Mr.Walleye. He has a vented setup in his garage that makes me dream of "some-day". Probably the best setup on here.
Lead by example

Ontrack

Yeah, he's taken it to the next level, for sure. It's a real jewel that I'd love to own...

gotta cravin

Thanks for all the reply's
I am pretty sure the hoods will do the trick as I have smoked in my last kitchen using a "big Chief" smoker and the smoke was fine. The bigger question I have is, is the digital the way to go? I do operate a 24/7 kitchen so someone could watch the smoker overnight, but I would feel better walking away at night knowing it was set up, and when I came in, in the a.m. I would have some brillinant, Salmon or shoulder sitting there and not something I would have to worry about food safety wise. Having looked at a few forums here, people talk of how hard it is to set up the digital smoker. I just don't understand why, and would I be better off without the digital? I also plan to buy a smoker for home use. Right now I have a hardwood smoker at home, love it but its not for evreything, besides can you have too many toys when it comes to food? 
Cheers
wannbe

Kane

hey there, My suggestion is for you to get a OBS and either a PID or a Guru setup.

OBS should be around $300 unless you find a deal.

about  $100-$125 for a PID but you will have to build it yourself or find someone to do it for you.

DigiQ and a Raptor from www.thebbqGuru.com will cost about $280 but is a plug and play controller.

gDub

That's exactly what I was going to do, but I am not sure if I want the 6 rack which only comes in Digital (I was thinking earlier that the OBS was available in six racks but that was the one that bradley told me they would not be making. I was thinking it was the DBS. I am loseing my mind ??? It seems like a waste to buy the DBS and Add a temp controller. Guess I will only be able to cook four briskets at a time :D   
E-Shay...Better Then The Next!

Kane

you can fit alot of food in that 4 rack!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: gDub on March 17, 2008, 06:36:49 PM
That's exactly what I was going to do, but I am not sure if I want the 6 rack which only comes in Digital (I was thinking earlier that the OBS was available in six racks but that was the one that bradley told me they would not be making. I was thinking it was the DBS. I am loseing my mind ??? It seems like a waste to buy the DBS and Add a temp controller. Guess I will only be able to cook four briskets at a time :D   

Items like briskets, butts and most roasts you really don't need any additional temperature control devices on the digital models. The temperature swings are really not a factor in the final out come on most cuts of meat. It's great to have, but it is not necessary. It is more crucial when you start making cured hams, sausage, jerky, bacon etc; and you don't want to spend a lot of time baby sitting the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)