First Smoke !!!!!

Started by Big Mike, February 26, 2008, 08:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mike

Well, I finally got the time this past weekend to give this new BDS 6 rack a shot...a 6 pound butt with my home made rub and a couple of fatty's all smoked with apple.  All I can say is WOW, after 14 hours the butt was perfect!!!!  Thanks to all the reading I have done here.

Big Mike

Now I just gotta get some of Iceman's sauce!

Habanero Smoker

Glad to hear of your success; and you can't go wrong with Iceman's sauces.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kane

good ta hear your first smoke was a success now on to the ribs! ;D

Wildcat

Congrats on the success!  Once you have tried Iceman's sauce and rub, you will never go back - to the old way that is.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Congrats Big Mike!

Good luck in your future smokes too!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Congrats Big Mike...and yeah...you need the Ice sauce...(are you listening Iceman?) :)

KyNola

Big Mike,
Congrats to you.  It's great to get that first one under your belt and have it turn out great.  Thanks for letting us know!

KyNola

HCT

It's such a great feeling when your first smoke comes out perfect. Yup, the help here really makes it happen. Congrats. 8)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iceman

I just love to hear of those first smokes making a big hit with folks. Smoke cooking isn't just a variation to cooking, it's a whole new life style!  ;D ;)
Glad it turned out Big Mike.

FLBentRider

Congrats!

I remember my first one, the anticipation, wondering if it will turn out ok. Then tasting it and thinking, WOW, that was easy! . A lot less worry after the first one is done and digested.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

yul

:) Must be nice to get that first smoke under your belt, glad it turned out OK.
My week end is a bust already, 30 – 40 cm of snow on the way. Enough already. ;)
Brian. Montreal.

Blues Man

I remember my first smoke with a Boston Butt. When I took it out of the smoker, I thought I had burnt it to a crisp! When I started pulling it apart, it looked great. Many smokes later, I know it's normal.

Enjoy your new toy!

Wildcat

Quote from: Blues Man on March 07, 2008, 04:42:42 PM
I remember my first smoke with a Boston Butt. When I took it out of the smoker, I thought I had burnt it to a crisp! When I started pulling it apart, it looked great. Many smokes later, I know it's normal.

Enjoy your new toy!

:D :D The first time I took some pulled pork to my mother, she looked at me with a silly grin and said "I see that I am not the only one in the family that tends to burn dinner a little".  She changed here toon after I explained the look and she had a taste of it.  Now I gotta take her some "burned pork" everytime I go there. ;D ;D

Renegade

Got First Smoke going right now (the seasoning process)!!! After the Seasoning Process comes the real First Smoke of a Beef Brisket (10 Hrs Worth)! I live in a Condo Complex & must say, so far in the First Smoke Preheat Process, I am Okay with the Minimal Smoke that is produced (top closure 99% closed)! If I look out from my deck, I do not see a cloud of smoke, which is very good. Kinda smells like someone has there fireplace going (we have fireplaces in our Condo Complex). That is a good thing, I was worried about too much smoke & the Fire Department being called on me! I am still a bit concerned about the amount of smoke if I am smoking Jerkey, as the top must be almost wide open to avoid moisture, so that may be a problem in the Condo Complex. I am thinking for the Jerkey, not so much of a problem, cause, I can put the smoke to the Jerkey Meat regardless of moisture & get the smoke in the meat & then take the meat to finish on my Dehydrator! Anyway, my first real smoke is about to began on the BDS (I have been wanting for 3 1/2 Yrs) and I am excited & hope my Beef Brisket turns out really good. I would like some feedback on how often I should check in on it & how often I should change the Water in the bowl.

Wildcat

Change the water once after all the wood pucks fall into it (assuming you are applying 3 to 4 hours of smoke).  During the smoking of the brisket, I recommend you keep the vent about 1/3 open.  The smoke that comes out will not be that bad.  If you have a remote probe for the meat, just keep an eye on that and leave the door closed.  I also recommend smoking/cooking at 200F box temp.  If you cook at that temp you can stop cooking at 185 and then FTC for 3 or 4 hours.  You will like the results.  You will notice that the meat temperature rise will stall and stay in the 160's for a long time.  Just be patient.