PID questions.....

Started by westernhunter, February 26, 2008, 08:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westernhunter

Okay guys....I just found this site a few nights ago, but have been using my OBS (see...got the lingo down already) for at least six years or more.  I finally broke down and bought a nice grinder, mixer, scale, and jerkey slicer so I can process the meat from my outdoor adventures.

I was researching ways to control the temp in my OBS and found this site and some great threads with lots of info.  The problem is that most of the topics regarding installing a PID are fairly old and most of the diagrams are no longer available on the threads.  Also, maybe some of you guys have found out which components work the best and have worked out any bugs.

So here is my question.  What PID works the best and is small enough to fit in the smoke generator?  If it is possible, could someone post a parts list for me?  I prefer GOOD components rather than the cheapest, but also do not want to break the bank.  I am electronically challenged, but handy enough to tackle this job.  With a parts list I will order everything and go from there.

A BIG THANKS in advance for any help!!!

If we are not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat??

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I am extremely challenged when it comes to electronic gadgets, so I had someone else build mine.  There are several experts on here that will chime in soon I am sure.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

acords

Here is are step by step directions from the recipe site (thanks again Olds)http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Stickbowcrafter

Welcome western hunter! I've put a ton of wild game through my OBS since picking mine up about a year ago. I've found it to be a lot friendlier to use than some of the other smokers I have owned over the years, especially for sausages. Just got back from a javelina and feral hog hunt in Texas. I've made a bunch of feral hog sausage since returning.

Anyhow, I installed a digital temperature switch after buying my OBS. I was going to try this before a PID but I ended up loving my TS. Here's a link to the post of how I installed it:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5423.0

Good luck with whatever you decide to use. These guys will steer you right either way.

-Brian

westernhunter

Acords,

Thanks for the reply.  I saw that link and will use it for reference for sure.  However, I was wondering if those are the best components or if others work better (specifically the PID and TC choices for temp stability).  I also want to mount the PID in the smoke generator and would like to see wiring diagram or photos for that.

Brian,

Thanks for the welcome.  What kind of temp swings to you get with your unit?  That looks easier than the PID but I am looking for tight control.  How did the sausages from the spoils of your hog hunt turn out?  I have over 100 lbs of goose meat in the freezer to be made into snack sticks, jerky, and various sausages.  After adding pork or beef and fat, I will have a LOT of goodies!! That just means I will have to brew a bunch of beer to with it all!  There is also some venison to be processed as well....may need a bigger freezer.

Joe

Stickbowcrafter

Joe, with the lower temps required for sausage, it's possible to keep the temperature swing under 5 degrees both ways. I've never had any problems with temps under 150 degrees. From what I've read and understand, the PID is a much more accurate and probably a better choice. But like I said, I tried the TS and have been happy with it.

I try to go on a hog hunt once or twice a year. Here's what some of the feral hogs have become:

Pepperoni

Tasso Ham (cajun ham for gumbo, jumbalaya, etc.)

Kielbasa

Thuringer

Canadian Bacon

Tuscan Salami

Summer Sausage

Pulled/Sliced BBQ Pork

-Brian

pensrock

I just knew I should not have looked at your pics! Dammmmm that all looks really tasty.  :P
Nice job Stick.

westernhunter

Okay Brian....

If you live ANYWHERE near Western PA, I will go get some good beer, cheese and crackers and head to your place!!!!

Great pics of some delicious looking food!

I just ordered "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas which is reported to be the Bible of sausage making.  I have SOOOO many questions regarding casings, meat mixtures, ingredients, etc......  I cannot wait to get started.

Do you use a sausage stuffer, or just use your grinder to stuff casings?  I am leaning towards buying a stuffer.

Ontrack

I agree with pensrock and westernhunter Brian. Any houses for sale near you? You'd never have to buy beer, or mow your grass, or shovel snow, or anything like that if I could come visit every once in a while! ;). Seriously, that's the best looking and best variety of sausage I've ever seen. I would love to get into making sausage, got bunches of catalogs, but time is not on my side, except for winter. The other 3 seasons barely leave me with enough time for a weekend smoke :(.

Mr Walleye

Hi Westernhunter and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to a mombers web site. He has complete details including pictures of his installation of a PID into the smoke generator of an OBS.
http://www.n9adg.com/articles/bbq/bradley-smoker-temperature-controller.html

Here is a link to my build which includes all the part numbers as well. It seems the general consencis is the Auber PID Controller & SSR with an Omega TC.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4735.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

western hunter,
  Are you from western Pa also? I live closer to the middle part of of the state. Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of very helpful people and information here.

westernhunter

Mike,

Thanks for the links.  I will check them out now and order up my parts!

Pensrock,

Yep, I am in Pittsburgh via Philly via Washington state which I still consider home.  I moved to Philly for dental school and am in PGH for another 16 months to finish an endodontics residency.  I would love to move back West, but a little lady near Philly will probably keep me in PA.  Thanks for the Welcome!!

smokin stu

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4812.0

Here is a link to the PID I built from Bubba's plans.  The only difference is grounding the metal box, which I did later on and a photo on page 2 shows it.

A PID is great to have.

Stickbowcrafter

Joe, you must be at UPMC. Thought about dental school there myself years ago. I'm out in the country just west of Carnegie and Green Tree, probably only 20 minutes from Pittsburgh. I also have some property in Guernsey County, Ohio, big buck country, about a little over an hour from here...The book you ordered is one of the best resources on sausage making. It will answer all your questions...and then some. Also, consider picking up a book called Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman. Feel free to ask away here as well. These guys (and gals) are some of the sharpest minds when it comes to all things smoking.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. And, yes, always willing to trade sausages for grass mowing and snow shoveling. Getting a pretty good beating here again tonight with the white stuff. Is it spring yet???

-Brian

Stickbowcrafter

Joe, I forgot to answer your question about stuffing the casings. I use the stuffing attachments for my grinder. I really want a quality stuffer, which I know will do a much better job, especially for sausage recipes that call for a large, chunk grind. But, everytime I go to spend the couple hundred bucks to get a good one, I justify to myself that the attachments for my refurbished grinder work just fine. Someday...

-Brian