Shipping smoked salmon question

Started by weekendsmoker, February 26, 2008, 03:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi, I wanted to ship a friend some of my hot & cold smoked salmon by Purolator.  It would be about two days total shipping.  As long as I use the 1/3 salt, 2/3 brown sugar brine process, can the fish go un-refridgerated for that long?  Does it become like the stuff you see in the package at the airport and not need to be kept cool?

Thanks.

Jason

Ontrack

Totally an uneducated guess here, but for something as easy to spoil as fish, I would say dry ice...hard to say what kind of temps those fish could be subjected to. I'm sure some who knows for sure will chime in soon, but if I was on the receiving end of that package, I'd be a little scared...

HCT

I agree with Ontrack. I wouldn't think about shipping fish without dry ice or overnite delivery with a load of ice bags. That along with having the fish frozen.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Kummok

Can't speak to cold smoked, Jason, but I've shipped a considerable amount of hot smoked to friends all over the US by sending it out of here FedEx two day, frozen in a cooler with no ice pack...summer and winter....and haven't killed anyone (yet!....come to think of it, I haven't heard from good ol' whats-his-name in a while?!?!?  ;) ;D) Of course, if you've read my previous posts on freezing/storing/aging questions involving salmon, you might take my experiences with a grain of salt.  :o

Ontrack

Well, Jason, there you have it. If there's a salmon expert on this forum, it would be Kummok. I would eat a fish-shaped dog turd if it came from him. ;) But, I'd let the wife try it first. ;D

La Quinta

Hey Ontrack...you're pushin' it dude...:)

Gizmo

Quote from: Ontrack on February 27, 2008, 05:47:15 PM
Well, Jason, there you have it. If there's a salmon expert on this forum, it would be Kummok. I would eat a fish-shaped dog turd if it came from him. ;) But, I'd let the wife try it first. ;D

OTFLMAO   ;D

That was an ASNR (accute spontaneous nasal reflux) with lemonade to boot. 

LaQuinta, I bet it took you a few minutes to type that reply as you were chuckling too hard to hit all the keys.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

Love my wife way tooooo much to experiment on her with my fish storage ventures, Ontrack!  Her cat however, is truly the spawn of Satan and deserves such experimentation!! Been trying to get that wretched feline to go out and soar with the eagles but it's too cantankerous for them too!

bullhead

Here KITTY, KITTY, kitty. supper time. :D

iceman

I do mine Fed X to California frozen and vacum sealed with a gel pack or two in it just in case it sits on the door step for a day. Always showed up still frozen so far.

iceman

Quote from: weekendsmoker on February 26, 2008, 03:37:50 PM
Does it become like the stuff you see in the package at the airport and not need to be kept cool?
Jason

It's not the same at all.
The stuff you see at the airport was processed under high pressure and heat to kill any bacteria after it's vacum sealed. It's a process you can't do at home.
Lack of air + food + room temperature (ie vacum sealed fish at room temp) is bad voo doo.

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on February 28, 2008, 10:53:20 AM
I do mine Fed X to California frozen and vacum sealed with a gel pack or two in it just in case it sits on the door step for a day. Always showed up still frozen so far.

I LIKE this idea Iceman!! I think this is a GREAT way to send my wife's cat back down to her while she's visiting family in Seattle!! She DID say she missed the cat..... 8)

iceman

Quote from: Kummok on February 28, 2008, 11:26:39 AM
Quote from: iceman on February 28, 2008, 10:53:20 AM

I LIKE this idea Iceman!! I think this is a GREAT way to send my wife's cat back down to her while she's visiting family in Seattle!! She DID say she missed the cat..... 8)

I'll donate the packing material :D ;D ;)

Ontrack

OK, just to clarify-the wife says I'm ignorant. So a little orange spray paint on that dog tur...never mind. I could fillet that cat into some...forget that too. I'm actually a devoted animal lover-the ones you can and can't eat. Just ask our dog that sleeps in our bed every night. She's at least nice enough to give us the side where the clock and phone are...

La Quinta

I'm with you Ontrack...one sleeps between our pillows...the other on top of me...gotta love em...dogs are a gift from above!!