Help with brisket

Started by tturaider, February 28, 2008, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

The brisket I did last weekend was injected and rated as the best I have ever done by my wife and she did not know I had injected it first.  I transferred this weekends brisket from the smoker to the foil pan and oven just a little while ago.  Looked great so far.  Had some Jack and cabernet sauvignon for it to wade in.  Sprinkled some more rub on the top, covered with foil and in it went. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Sounds great, Gizmo. I'm looking forward to it. I know the brisket didn't get ALL your Jack, did it? ;) :D

Gizmo

No, the brisket shares.   ;D ;D

tturaider

Giz sounds good.  So do you trans the brisket to the foil pan as soon as you get thru with the smoke....approx 4 hrs?  Also when you say that you put it in a foil pan with jack and wine how much of each do you use (just enuff to splash on it or enuff to have some for the brisket to sit in...inches etc.)?
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: tturaider on February 29, 2008, 07:38:54 PM
Also when you say that you put it in a foil pan with jack and wine how much of each do you use

Oh oh... did someone say beverage?

Hopefully, enough is used to make the cook happy...   :D :D :D

tturaider

Yea but if I start on the hard stuff I wouldnt make it to take the stuff out of the smoker. ;D ;D

Ontrack

Arcs-I can't beleive it took you over 9 minutes to respond after Gizmo mentioned the word "Jack". That's pretty slow for you. Good thing it wasn't an emergency!  ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

"This is only a test. I repeat, this is only a test of the emergency beverage system. Had this been an actual emergency, you would have received an e-mail alert within 10000 milliseconds or five drinks, whichever came first."

Gizmo

Quote from: tturaider on February 29, 2008, 07:38:54 PM
Giz sounds good.  So do you trans the brisket to the foil pan as soon as you get thru with the smoke....approx 4 hrs?  Also when you say that you put it in a foil pan with jack and wine how much of each do you use (just enuff to splash on it or enuff to have some for the brisket to sit in...inches etc.)?

Yes I boat it after the 4 hours of smoke.  I don't measure, just guzzle, I mean pour until I get about 1/8 inch.  Don't need much.  This just gives it a little flavor and initial moisture since once the fat starts to render, the boat will increase in fluid.  The fluid that is left over (after skimming off the fat - when it cools the fat will congeal and float on top) is great to use as an aus-juis especially when reheating.

tturaider

Whooo....meat, butter, jack, and wine cant get much better!! Im at the fire station right now but much more of this kind of talk and I may have to come up with an urgent flu so that I could go home and get started. ;D ;D

Ontrack

My beast hit the smoke at 6:30 this morning. I have to keep an eye on the skies, though. It isn't supposed to rain anymore, and a little too warm to snow, but the clouds look like they could but loose with a downpour at any minute... :-\

tturaider

So ON...is this the brisket that you injected with the butter and cajun season? Keep us informed how it works out.

Ontrack

This is the one, tt. Actually it was creole seasoning instead of cajun, although I doubt there is any difference in the two. Clouds are gone, sun's out, turned into a beautiful morning. I don't think it's supposed to get over 45 here today, but's that's 20 degrees warmer than it got to a few days this week! I'll take it! :) I will let you know how it turns out this evening. The flat was only about 2 inches thick, so I don't expect it to take that long. The point was at least twice as thick, so it may take awhile.

tturaider

Sounds good.  Do you remember what the total weight was by chance?

Ontrack

I sure do. It was 7.82 pounds.