Another newbie to the group

Started by mack-attack, March 01, 2008, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Welcome mack-attack...and...what everyone else said!! :) Have fun...The Bradley is very cool!!

mack-attack

Thanx all for the welcome and the feedbacks.

I finally got the Bradley out and fired up the unit for the initial hour seasoning as instructed from the owner's manual.

I've never seen a Bradley so this was neat.

Now I understand about the Bubba Pucks.  I just need to find out how to get them.

I've been reading some on the forum about the PID, Raptor, and I haven't grasped what those actually do yet.  Or how they really improve the initial DBS setup....is it that much of an improvement???

I guess I just need to start smoking and will learn about this eating art.

Again, thanx for all the replies and I hope you all smoke well.
Cheers,
Mack

Mr Walleye

Mack

Here is a link to a members web site (Bryan - Begolf25) that sells Bubba Pucks.
http://www.yardandpool.com/Bubba-Pucks---Bradley-Smoker-Woodsaver-p975.html

The PID or the DigiQ/Raptor basically control the temps down to + or - a couple of degrees. I would give the DBS some time and depending on what your smoking you may or may not want to add one of them at a later date.

Just my opinion but get that baby smokin'... You can always add toys later!  :D

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: mack-attack on March 06, 2008, 05:06:59 PM
I've been reading some on the forum about the PID, Raptor, and I haven't grasped what those actually do yet.

mack-attack,

Welcome. The Porter Indicating Device is quite useful in helping find your beer while you are smoking.  :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

mack-attack

Walleye...thanx for the link  Yea I just got up this morning and noticed my freshly seasoned Bradley is covered with snow.  So it is more "seasoned" in that I was expecting.   The low tonight is to be 5, so I don't know if this evening would be a good time to try.......How cold can it be and still hold temp or is that an issue????

Arcs-In-Sparcs,   Thanx for the breakout of the PID acronym...I assume that is a wonderful beer you are talking about.
   I used to homebrew and we actually had the first sanctioned brew club from Nebraska to be in the American Brewing Association. We went all out.  Our club name was and is still registered as the "Respected Ale and Lager Fermenters Of Nebraska".   Acronym is RALF-ON.   What a great club we had and great Porters.

Thanx Guys,
Mack

Tiny Tim

Hi Mack

As long as you keep it out of the wind, the DBS should hold temp fairly well.  I've got my Original in a small enclosure next to the house on the driveway, and never have a problem keeping a good temp.

You were a homebrewer, huh?  Don't suppose you ever attended or sent an entry to the Schleswig Wine and Bier Contest that we hold over here (Schleswig Iowa) every October, have you?  I used to be a member of the club that puts it on, but they take the wine and beer too seriously, and I really just want to drink it and not care about determining the characteristics of it.

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Mr Walleye

Mack

Tiny's comment is right on. The only thing I would add is to make sure at cooler temps you keep the smoke generator on to help assist keeping the tower temp up. Wind is definitely your enemy in the cooler temps.

Mike

Big Dawgg

Hey Mack,

I smoked last weekend when it was 31 for a high (the day after it was 71). Didn't have any problems with two chickens and a pork tenderloin. I plan on doing some more smoking on Sunday, temps should be a little warmer than last week.

If you want a real treat try a "fatty". I tried a couple of these and they were great.

Have fun.

Dawgg
Dawgg

mack-attack

HI Dawg,

Hey what is a Fatty?   How did you do yours (smoke time, temp....remember I'm a dummy to this still).

Thanx
Mack

Big Dawgg

Quote from: mack-attack on March 08, 2008, 03:34:03 AM
HI Dawg,

Hey what is a Fatty?   How did you do yours (smoke time, temp....remember I'm a dummy to this still).

Thanx
Mack

LOL, I thought the same thing the first time I heard of one. If you do a search you will find what they are and get some of the more experienced guys to chime in. All they are is a "chub" of sausage thrown on the smoker. You can stuff them with anything you want. I made two of them a week ago. I rolled one out and put pizza sauce, black olives, cheese, onion and mushrooms in it. The other I put cheese tortellini, onion and mushrooms in. I put some rub on them wrap with bacon and smoked at 220 until 165 internal temp. The second one was awesome.

Tomorrow I am doing some ribs and baked beens.

Dawgg
Dawgg