BUTTERBALL TURKEY

Started by BigRed, November 22, 2004, 02:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

Fellow Smoke Heads!

I have read alot on the forum about brining. I have heard and just want to make sure that a Butterball Turkey is basically brined with the supposed butter that is injected into it. Can anyone shed any light on this subject PLEASE. I still fully intend to cold apple smoke the butterball bird for 4 hours then Deep Fry it immediately. I do not want to brine it and have considered injecting with cajun garlic butter after the smoking. Ideas?

I would like to wish all your BS owners a great THANSKGIVING SEASON!

BigRED

Chez Bubba

Red,

I don't think there is too much "butter" in the "Butterball", mainly just saline solution (And lots of it to beef up the weight!). That would make it a pre-brined bird. That's my unprofessional take.

I don't like injecting birds before deepfrying because it seems the meat surrounding the injection sites turns mushy. Great flavor, but mushy. Why not just smother it with a flavored gravy & keep the proper texture?

Happy T-day to you as well,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

I believe Butterball makes both self-basting (essentially meaning brined that they already injected) and fresh or unfrozen turkeys that are not self-basting. It will say on the packaging.

You did not mention if you injection fluid contains salt or not. Myself I would go ahead and inject with the cajun butter. I have heard and read contradictory information as to whether injecting a self-basting turkey increases or exchanges the salt content.

If you have a Butterball I would talk to them. They have a hot line that is open from 8am-8pm Mon-Fri. I hear they can answer any question you asked them about turkeys. Call 1-800-BUTTERBALL. I know it looks like too many digits, but that is the number they give. You can also e-mail them if the lines are too busy; [email protected] .

If you do call, let us know what they say.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRed

Hab and Chez!

Thanks for the advise guys!!

Chez I am going back and forth on injecting. Tonight I am thinking no. I am saying no tonight because of the 4 hours I want to smoke the bird. I really want to taste the smoking effect. I am going to use apple to smoke with.

Hab - What a great idea! They say you learn something everyday. I not only learned you can talk to the Butterball folks but I will learn something tomorrow when I talk to these folks. Thanks!

BigRED

Habanero Smoker

I was in a hurry last evening so I forgot to wish you and other members on this board a Happy Thanksgiving.

I found out that Butterball makes both self-basting and natural/fresh/unfrozen (not injected with brine) last year. My sister in-law accidently purchased one of their fresh turkeys thinking that it was self-basting, and started worrying about how to cook it without drying out the breast, so she called their hotline.

I don't recall what their answer was. At the time I was not concerned, because I knew I was about the only one invited who likes the dark meat. [:)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigRed

Dark meat on Turkey and Chicken rule! We will often just buy theighs and smoke or grill them.SOMETIMES white meat can get too dry! The only thing it is good for at that point is to make Turkey/Chicken Salad!

BigRED