Rib Nirvana - I finally am able to die smiling!

Started by nsxbill, November 22, 2004, 05:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

I did about 10 lbs of ribs today, and this is the first post to actually say, "I got it right!"

I picked up some nice looking ribs at the commissary on Thursday.  Nice single sides in cryovac package.  Early Saturday morning, I stipped the membrane and cut each rack in half.  Into a Gallon size Zip locks and poured in some cheapo Wishbone Italian dressing.  Sunday at 1000, I prepared the smoker, and then cranked up the temp to 225°.  I dusted the ribs with some Willingham's Dry rub, and took them outside.  I reduced heat setting on the guru to maintain Smoker temp at 205°.

About 1100, all the ribs into the smoker to first have 4 hrs of mesquite smoke.  The top rack had about 1/2 lb of fatty bacon dripping down on the ribs.  Set the alarm for 4 hrs and changed the bowl water then.  At 1830, the ribs at 180°, I opened the door and mopped with a homemade mild sauce to allow a little sugar to carmelize and make the ribs a little sticky. At 1845hrs, the ribs reached 190°.  Out to the kitchen counter.  I wrapped each 1/2 rack in separate saran wrap.  They all were wrapped in a large towel, and then into the Coleman Cooler for an hour.  I could visibly see the benefit of cooking slow.  The meat almost falling off the bone.

This was my 3rd attemp at ribs.  The first cooked too fast, the second too spicy.  These were as SmokinMoe posted earlier, orgasmic.  Best I have ever had anywhere, anytime!  What did I learn?  As stated many times on the list, you have to allow time to let the smoker do it's thing.

Thanks to all of you smokers for your guidance in those past and present posts on Ribs.  It is about time that I did them right!  

Bill[^]
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Bill,
Congrats on the ribs[:p].  I have smoked/cooked some of the best ribs I ever had but thought I followed the same procedure next time and the ribs were not yet cooked enough.  I think the key is like you said make sure you have the time.  I have also started buying strickly St. Louis style.  I like the size, taste and price.  At the local store I buy from, the ribs are not cryo'ed so I get to pick the ones I want.  I feel this has also helped in the success of my last few rib cooks.  I have been marinating my ribs in a sauce based on Tony Ramas(sp?) restaurant.  Its tomato based with vinegar and spices.  The combo of stuff really makes the ribs tender.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

It's a beautiful when things come together!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

Jeff(Big Smoker)

Share your sauce recipe?  Always looking for them!  The Baby Backs I got were, as I said earlier, from the commissary at Mclelland Air Force Base.  I haven't been in a commissary in 20 years, but since I am retired, what the hell!  Baby backs were $3.40 a pound, as I recall. I thought that was a pretty good price, so I got 3 racks.  They were fresh, very meaty, and well worth it even if I didn't get a good deal. I was sure pleased with the outcome.

The measure of many of our efforts is the way certain meats come out of the smoker.  As many of you know we all have successes and failures.  These were a resounding success.   I smiled when I picked one end up, and the other end just broke off, the meat was so tender.

I have experienced good brisket every time, and the salmon had been good first time and excellent the second.  Well...maybe it was a bit too spicy the first time, but sure improved thereafter!

Pork Butt was to die for....Will be enjoying the remnants converted to ABT's for Thanksgiving,

Love my Bradley, and really love my BBQ Guru!  I am so glad I didn't just settle for a oven thermostat for temp control!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Rib Sauce:

1 c ketchup
1 c vinegar(I use cider vinegar)
1/2 c dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4tsp-1tbsp favorite hot sauce

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan whisk until smooth over high heat.  When sauce comes to a boil reduce heat and simmer uncovered.
cook 30-45 minutes until sauce is thick, stir frequently.
Should yield enough for 2 full racks.
Place ribs in zip lock bag with cooled sauce.  Keep in fridge overnight turning several time to evenly coat.  Remove and slow smoke until end bone will twist easily.  Reserve some of the original sauce for basting towards the end of the cook.

Note:  First time I tried this sauce I tasted the sauce before it went on the ribs and I thought I might have made a mistake but once the sauce marinates the ribs the flavor completely changes.  Enjoy[:)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com

nsxbill

Cold Smoke

I just made 3 racks of back ribs this past weekend and they turned out pretty darned good- I'd say an 8 on a scale of 10. I peeled off the membrane and applied a good dose of rub and followed the following recipe (from that other smoking site [:(]) - see below

8 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp hot paprika
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp dry mustard
2 Tblspn salt
1 tsp onion powder
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp six-pepper
3/4 tsp cayenne
8 Tblspn Brown sugar
1 tsp celery salt

Rub liberally. After 2 hours of cooking brush with the following mixture.
1 stick real butter
2 6 oz cans of pineapple juice
Melt butter and mix with juice.
Brush again at 3 hour mark and again about 20 minutes before ready to pull from smoker.

My wife reminded me that she likes sticky fingers (sauce)- so like a good husband I added some el-cheapo sauce I had in the fridge about an hour before pulling them out of the smoker. No time to FTC. A few minutes on a platter then onto the dinner plate. I have to admit that the ones that I sauced were much tastier IMHO than those using just the rub and butter/pineapple mixture. I've read many times that you don't need to sauce if you use a good rub. The rub will give you all the flavor you're looking for. I was hoping to get others opinions on this matter if you're so inclined...

Also- I was wondering if anyone has a gold-star sauce recipe that they would like to share? We don't seem to get many of the BBQ sauces that my American brothers get up here in the Great White North. I should mention that I do have the Smoke and Spice book and have tried a few of their sauces- but have not yet hit pay-dirt.

We do have Tony Romas restaurants here and I can get their sauces- I was real glad to see BigSmokers version and will try that ASAP. They do make fine ribs.[:p]

Shooting for a 10 on 10.

Thanks all!

Cold Smoke

tsquared

I have yet to try smoking ribs but I have used this sauce several times on pulled pork and brisket. My partner and dining guests clamour for this everytime they come over. It's from Shewchuck's BBQ Secrets book.
2 Tbsp. chili powder (I use a combo of ancho and New Mexican)
1 Tbsp. of each: black pepper, dry mustard
1 tsp. of each: ground coriander, ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
up to 1 tsp. of cayenne, according to taste
1/4 cup canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup w. vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire or soy sauce or combo
pinch of smoked salt
1 32 oz.(l.2 L)keg of ketchup
1)Mix all spices and set aside.
2)Heat oil and saute onion, garlic and shallot until tender, add spices and cook for 2 or 3 minutes more.
3)Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

I'm making a batch today for some pulled pork for tomorrow's football game.
Tom

simmy

Big Smoker,,

I used your recipe for the rib sauce. I had to substitute the turbinado sugar with brown sugar. I didn't make them in a BS as I am ordering mine on Friday. The sauce is very tasty after smoking with hickory. Thanks for posting your recipe... I know I will be using it again when I get my BS.

Steve

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simmy</i>
<br />Big Smoker,,

I used your recipe for the rib sauce. I had to substitute the turbinado sugar with brown sugar. I didn't make them in a BS as I am ordering mine on Friday. The sauce is very tasty after smoking with hickory. Thanks for posting your recipe... I know I will be using it again when I get my BS.

Steve
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Glad you enjoyed it[:D].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

simmy

I went to the grocery store today and they had pork spare ribs for 1.79/lb so I bought the 3 of them they had. Gonna freeze them and make the Tony Roma's sauce again with them. I can't wait to try that recipe with the BS.[:p][:p]

Steve

psdubl07

Anyone have an opinion on whether marinating (vs. just dry rub) helps in tenderizing the ribs?
I've done ribs a couple times, the last time including the FTC technique, but am yet to hit pay-dirt as far as them totally falling off the bone.

I like baby backs the best and realize they can be fairly lean, which may make it harder to get them falling off the bone, but I know it can be done.  Would love to hear some specifics regarding marinate vs. rub only, temperature, basting etc... from anyone here who has had better luck.

nsxbill

I always marinate, and when finished with the marinade, dust on some rub to kick it up a little with spice.

A little tribute to SmokehouseRob's hanging rack.  Finally used it and it was with my latest batch of ribs.  Did 40 minutes of tumbling marinade in the Reveo Marinator, took them out and did a dusting as described above.  Using larger S-Hooks about 4 inches tall, hung the half racks in the smoker.  No worries about them falling off the hooks except when removing from the rack after the smoke was completed.   Was very careful moving meat off the rack because the racks were very tender.

Nice not having to clean up the shelves after smoke.  Taking Chez' suggestion next time, I think I will hand some bacon on the hook both front of meat and back, and maybe even drape over top toothpick on.

The outcome was quite pleasing.  I don't think I will use Cherry wood on ribs again.  It was a little intense.  My wife doesn't care much for that smoky flavor(I know-I know!), so when doing ribs will be toning it down a little for her.

I only hung half racks from rack because it maintains more distance from the heating element in the BS.  Lots of room for more, but I only smoked two racks, cut in half and hung on the rack.

Good job SmokehouseROb!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>

JJC

Glad the larger S-hooks worked well, Bill!  Kirk and Rob, the experiences Bill and I have had with the larger hooks makes the hanging rack even more versatile !  [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

bill or john, if one of you guys can post a picture of the hooks, you are useing? thanks