Rib Nirvana - I finally am able to die smiling!

Started by nsxbill, November 22, 2004, 05:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

If someone else hasn't already done it, I will snap a picture tonight of your supplied hooks and the ones I use.  I got mine at a restaurant supply store.  I exaggerated the size.  They are about 3" tall and half as wide...simple S with one end pointed to hook meat and other end blunt to hang on rack.  Stainless material about 1/8" wire.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

eightball

BB Ribs smoked on the Weber kettle grill? I just finished doing it and the more it went I just kept thinking how wonderful the bisquettes are to handle in the BS. I almost ran myself crazy with the routine, smoke chips, fire control, prepping the sides in the kitchen, chasing the neighbors cat, you know. On top of that it is 96 and humid in Louisiana today.
Makes you appreciate the BS more every time i had to take an extra step. I used a compilation of the suggestions on the forum for the BB's and they turned out good, not great because they cooked a little quicker than I was  shooting for, definitley a reason t plan ahead and use the BS next time. Sorry i didnt use nxsbills routine
eightball[8]

nsxbill

I have done ribs in so many different ways...par-boiling, foil wrapped in the oven, Brinkman, Weber, and now Bradley. There are so many ways of doing them, and like I said once previously:  Getting good ribs is a journey... many different ways of achieving excellent results.  I think one can only learn from the past, but stay open to try something new.  My last ones were smoked one heck of a long time in the Bradley at about 205°F.  Toward the end, I wrapped them in foil after covering with some sauce and finished them in the oven...I was hungry.  

There was still some benefits of the long slow cook, as the patience did pay off.  I just didn't finish the cook in the BS, but they were in for about 14-15 hrs( did about 12lbs of BB ribs).    No matter what I tried, just couldn't get the temp up.  Since then, have not had that temp problem...really don't know why it took so long.  The ribs were all hung in the smoker on S-hooks, so at least no shelves to clean up(Hoo-Ray).

Feel free to expirement, and if you get it right, why argue with success!  Just keep doing it that way.  I love my BS, but I still use my grill too!  Just do what is right for you!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

eightball

tsquared

Hey Bill- Can you tell me about the s-hook thing?
Tom

Chez Bubba

I believe he's talking about this:

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Chez has posted up the rack I use, One of Smokehouse Rob's creations, but I use Stainless S-Hooks instead of the little ones that came with the rack.  I like something a little more substantial.  The S hooks reach down to grab the second rib, and are just perfect for me.

Chezbubba.com has the rack for sale on his site.

Bill

MWS

It really is satisfying to do the 'perfect' ribs. I smoked some St. Louis Style's last weekend but had to freeze them before I could indulge (un-foreseen circumstances [:(!]). Today I defrosted and slathered them in a great simple sauce and heated them on the grill. These were some of the best ribs I've ever tasted. The hickory had really flavored the meat. Last weekend I had dry rubbed them for 24 hours and then smoked for 3 hours for a total of 4.5 hours in the BS. I immediatly wrapped, cooled and froze them. What a treat....[:p]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

tsquared

Bill and Chez-Thanks for the info on the rib rack. I'll have a look at your site, Chez.
Tom

tsquared

I'm doing some ribs today with an Asian marinade.(1st time smoking ribs) Any opinions on which wood to use? I wouldn't hesitate to use hickory if I was using a KC style sauce/marinade but I'm thinking it might overpower this marinade. Pecan or apple maybe?
Tom

nsxbill

I am doing 8 racks of BB tomorrow after a rub down tonight after vacuum marinade in my tumbler.  I tried pecan recently, and really liked it.

Bill

JJC

I agree with Bill on the pecan for your asian-style ribs.  My second choice wold be apple or an apple:cherry mix (2:1).

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA