HELP on Pork Butt

Started by Snake River Smoker, July 26, 2008, 05:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake River Smoker

First time with pulled pork, I started at 1:00pm yesterday with two 8lb pork butts, coated with CYM and dry rub, loaded the DBS and smoked wIth apple wood for 4 hours set the temp @ 200f. When i went to bed @ 10:30pm the internal temp on the lower butt was 141f. Woke up @ 5:30am smoker was off internal temp was 70f, forgot to increase the timer. IS THIS BATCH HISTORY,i rest the timer and turned on the heat WHAT DO I DO NOW ,I DONT WANT TO PLAY WITH BOTULISM??

FLBentRider

First, W E L C O M E to the Forum Snake River Smoker!

Others here may differ in opinion, but since you have no idea how much time the meat was @ 70F, if it was me, I would toss it and start over. I don't know what temp you would have to take it to to kill off anything that might have grown...

IMHO, The price of 2 pork butts is just not worth the risk.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Snake River Smoker

Thanks, i thought the same i guess i just needed to hear it from someone else, oh well another lesson learned. Time to break out the ribs to save the party.  :)

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum SRS!

I've never done that....ok once or twice,but I'm with FL better safe than sick.  Toss and start again, as its said stuff happens!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

kiyotei

Toss it.  I'm over cautious but since you have no idea what its temp history is better safe than sorry.  A day vomiting etc is no fun (FYI nothing I've smoked has made me sick).

bushman

easy answer , i`ve done the time on the throne . TOSS it , you don`t want to go there

firerescueman

toss it as far as you can.........  not worth the risk.

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!