Baby Back -Vs- Spare Ribs

Started by DrunkenMick, March 10, 2008, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkenMick

Anyone have a preference?  I haven't done ribs in sometime (Thank GOD the weather is warming up) and was watching a show on FoodTV about bbq (I think it was Throwdown with some guy cooking ribs).  Anyhow; he mentioned he much prefered spare ribs over baby back due to the fat content is higher in a spare rib which makes it ideal for smoking.  All the ribs i've done were always baby back.  I saw some spare ribs in the store yesterday and they were like 1/3 the price per pound then baby backs. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Screw it and smoke a butt? :)

FLBentRider

I did some baby backs a while back. Came out a little drier that I preferred. I have not had the opportunity to do the spare ribs.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ontrack

I have to have my babybacks at least once a month-yesterday was the day. They would be second only to brisket for my favorite smoke. I've never done spares on the Bradley, but I've done them quite a few times on my other smokers. I (we) like the babybacks much better.

Habanero Smoker

I generally smoke spareribs, because their is a lot more meat. I purchase the St. Louis style. They are generally the higher priced spareribs, but they require less trimming. Spareribs also take longer to cook in the smoker, so if you are looking at a recipe on this forum that is using baby backs, you should allow for some extra time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Big Dawgg

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 10, 2008, 02:25:37 PM
I generally smoke spareribs, because their is a lot more meat. I purchase the St. Louis style. They are generally the higher priced spareribs, but they require less trimming. Spareribs also take longer to cook in the smoker, so if you are looking at a recipe on this forum that is using baby backs, you should allow for some extra time.

Do you still use the 3-2-1 method on the spareribs?
Dawgg

Carter

West Coast Kansan

We are baby back at my house.  My son is all about spare ribs ... he is a purist smoker though and much more into the science of foods and seasoning.  I have NO clue where he got that - was not me and his mom thinks making tea is cooking hot food.  Maybe from all the years of wrestling and cutting wieght made him appreciate food...

funny cuz just last weekend he was lecturing me about the advantages and superiority of spare ribs.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

allen_d

although i am a newbie... when i did ribs, i did both spare ribs and baby backs. 

The baby backs didn't come out as good as the spare ribs.  The baby backs lacked meat, and the "texture" was not as i could have expected... a meaty/fatty blend.

The spare ribs took a great smokey flavor, and actually presented mouthfulls of savory meat per rib. 

i stumbled on a website that i really like... amazingribs.com

Fire it up!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Big Dawgg on March 10, 2008, 02:29:34 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 10, 2008, 02:25:37 PM

Do you still use the 3-2-1 method on the spareribs?

No. I don't wrap my ribs or spritz them, and it often takes more then 6 hours for spareribs at 200°F

Carter;
Gizmo should know this method, I have one of Steve Raichlen's books where it is mentioned. The 3-2-1 method is a smoking/cooking sparerib menthod used by many. The times are different for baby backs. The first number is how many hours the ribs are in the smoker unwrapped, the second the number of hours wrapped, and the third number is how long the ribs are finished off unwrapped.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LilSmoker

I've found that getting spare ribs just right, is an easier task than with baby backs. I find the the baby backs require a little more nursing to get the required result.

Having said that, when both are at their best, i prefer the baby backs
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

Habs nailed the 3-2-1.  I actually don't pay much attention to the actual numbers but the method is what I most often use.  For instance, I usually do 4 hours of smoke (but have done less when in a hurry), and will do 2 to 3 hours wrapped in foil, which depends on how tender I want them.  I don't always finsh with the foil off and if I do, I will cut the foil time down as the finish would be for some BBQ sauce glazing on the grill.  The BBQ sauce is typically Ice's Sopin' Sauce.  The reduced foil time is to ensure I can still pick the ribs up without all the meat falling off the bone and consequently falling through the grill grates.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

CLAREGO

wrap the spares (yum) after smoking and put them on the original saran wrap then foil 325-350 ((less time to cook)) them then finish off in the grill

FLBentRider

Before I got by OBS, I did ribs with the Alton Brown recipie (Rubbed, Braised low and slow in the oven, make sauce out of the drippings) .
I have been thinking about how to integrate smoke into this recipie. The racks get the rub, then a foil wrap, rest in the fridge, then a 250 oven for 4 hours. I would like to add the smoke after the rest.

Is it safe to "cold smoke" pork ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

Quote from: flbentrider on March 12, 2008, 10:25:06 AM
Before I got by OBS, I did ribs with the Alton Brown recipie (Rubbed, Braised low and slow in the oven, make sauce out of the drippings) .
I have been thinking about how to integrate smoke into this recipie. The racks get the rub, then a foil wrap, rest in the fridge, then a 250 oven for 4 hours. I would like to add the smoke after the rest.

Is it safe to "cold smoke" pork ?

I would think if you rubbed the ribs down then did the rest in the fridge then give them a cold smoke for an hour or so then into the oven you would be okay. I would make sure the pork went straight from fridge to smoker to oven in less than two hours.
Let us know how it turns out.

I'm with Giz for the most part on ribs. Ann likes a finish on the grill. I'll take them any way I can get them!!!  :P :D

BTW there is a new term floating around up at my place.
Old term was FTC.......... New term is FTCB........ Foil. Towel. Cooler. With Beverage.  ;)

Tiny Tim

Arcs should be by in 3............2...............1............