Baby Back -Vs- Spare Ribs

Started by DrunkenMick, March 10, 2008, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Tiny Tim on March 12, 2008, 03:30:17 PM
Arcs should be by in 3............2...............1............

Lift off!!! We have lift off for happy hour!!!

Arcs_n_Sparks

Carter

Thanks for the 3-2-1 description.  Consider it a bookmarked thread.

Mr Walleye

Carter

Here is link to another good description on the 3-2-1 method.

http://www.wyntk.us/food/3-2-1-rib-method.shtml

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Carter

Thanks Mike.  Good to be back on the forum again.  Between work, numerous ailments, and terrible weather throughout the month, February was a write off.

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 12, 2008, 07:58:41 PM
3 hours sparky,  geezzzz

Yeah, thinking about retirement to shorten my response time. The guys posting while I'm working are killing me.   :D :D :D

Sparkler

DrunkenMick

No. I don't wrap my ribs or spritz them, and it often takes more then 6 hours for spareribs at 200°F

Carter;
Gizmo should know this method, I have one of Steve Raichlen's books where it is mentioned. The 3-2-1 method is a smoking/cooking sparerib menthod used by many. The times are different for baby backs. The first number is how many hours the ribs are in the smoker unwrapped, the second the number of hours wrapped, and the third number is how long the ribs are finished off unwrapped.

Habs:  So during the 2 hour wrapped cook period you don't add any apple juice/beer/etc?  Just wrap em in some heavy duty foil and let them roll?

Habanero Smoker

I don't wrap my ribs, but from reading the post on this forum, those who do wrap their ribs, give them a splash of apple juice or beer prior to sealing them. I would think it would be optional, as to whether or not to add addition moisture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

If and when I wrap my ribs I add some apple juice along with a splash of what ever sauce I'm going to serve with them.

DrunkenMick

Gotcha.  I think i'll go unwrapped as thats how i've done my ribs before.  I think i'll double slather/rub to get some better bark too. 

If the weather holds up i'm going to do a couple racks of spare ribs this Saturday.  I'll take pictures and post results.

DrunkenMick

Well the damned butcher didn't have any spare ribs left.  Some guy came in that morning and bought 12 racks.  So i had to settle for 4 racks of baby backs.  I went a bit too heavy on the rub so it was extra spicy but thats ok in my book. 

This was about 25 minutes before i pulled them.  I didn't boat, spritz, nothing.  Essentially let em rip for about 4.5 hours @ 210 with the first 3 hours with Applewood smoke.

Here's two after pulling and let rest for a few minutes.  They were dang tasty. 

La Quinta

Man...those look awesome...have some friends coming next week...gotta make ribs!!! YUP...no doubt! DrunkenMick...very nice indeed!! :)

kiyotei

that's a work of art!  What did you have in your water bowl?  Was it just water?  It looked bubbly, like beer???

Ontrack

I understand everything in the pics except for the "whipped topping". Seriously, those are some great looking ribs. I'll trade you 2 pounds of leftover brisket for a rack... :D

Gizmo

Quote from: Ontrack on March 22, 2008, 08:42:26 PM
I understand everything in the pics except for the "whipped topping".

Shhhhh, there are somethings that just should be asked in public.   :P  :P ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/