Baby Back -Vs- Spare Ribs

Started by DrunkenMick, March 10, 2008, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Yeah I'm with ya Giz...ribs and whipped topping...hmmmm...I really could make more comments...but I'm gonna go with the shhhh...:) :)

DrunkenMick

Quote from: Ontrack on March 22, 2008, 08:42:26 PM
I understand everything in the pics except for the "whipped topping". Seriously, those are some great looking ribs. I'll trade you 2 pounds of leftover brisket for a rack... :D

Lol.  My wife was in the process of making some kind of desert for Easter dinner before i vacated her from the kitchen to start cutting up ribs.  The whipped topping had nothing to do with the ribs :)

kiyotei:  Good eye!! After i finished the smoke portion i changed the water bowl and added some lager.  Plus it was a nice day and gave me an excuse to sit outside and "finish" the beer(s) and smoke a cigar.

Ribs were great too.  I still have a rack left that i'm just waiting until lunchtime to finish off.  Next week we're doing brisket. 

drano

Whipped cream on ribs--gotta try that some day ;D
Just got done with Easter spare ribs.  I havn't done ribs in a couple years--man are they good!
One 3.5 lb rack, on at 10:00 at about 190 deg, then up to 225 at noon.  5 maple and 3 hickory pucks.  When the internal temp hit 180, I dropped the temp pack to 195.  At 4:00, I FTC'd them, and at 6:00 they were delicious!

I like spare ribs because they are cheaper.  But I've done babyback a couple times, and they are mighty tasty too!

get smokin
Drano

Stickbowcrafter

I've had great results with baby backs but I still do them on my charcoal/wood smoker. Mainly to save time but after seeing it only took D.M. less than 5 hours, I might have to try them in the OBS.

Another trick that may help with those of you having dryness issues with the baby backs. Pick up some rib racks that cook the ribs standing on their sides. These can be picked up real cheap at any big box store that has grill accessories. http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3601-Rib-Rack/dp/B00004U9VC The juice runs completely across the rib and self-bastes. I also hit mine with a spray of apple juice every hour or so and rotate them in the racks.

-Brian

mavrickone

Hi Guys,
    I haven't had a chance to get on in a while but since I took on Bradley as a dealer I figured I better start keeping up. I have done both baby and spare and everyone seems to prefer the baby backs.
    I just remove the membrane and rub down with Head Country seasoning and then kind of put them in a roll and run a skeweer through them so that they will sit upright on the rack. I uswually just turn my BS up all the way and have used alder,pecan,hickory and apple and they all seem good.
    I have always cooked the full time on the BS and maybe I have just been lucky, but they have been great everytime.
    It is 105F right now so I am not thinking about smoking much ;)

Happy Smokin
Dave