Need help with crisper chicken skin.

Started by Artmiester, March 12, 2008, 06:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artmiester

I've had my DBS for almost a year now and have smoked most of if not all the favorites with much success. But, I still cannot get chicken skin to crisp and color the way I would like. Usually, I will put the birds in along with a medium to full load preheated to 220F both on a rack just above a 7-8# butt which i will eventually take to 190F for pulled pork. After the initial shock has passed and my PID is maintaining 220F it will take the chickens about 4-6 hours to come to 160F. The meat is moist and tender but always turns out with RUBBER skin just short of inner tube texture. I've tried smoking them on their own @ 180F for 2 hours of apple and then finishing them on the grill but still the skin is somewhat elastic although the color I'm  looking for.Always use broilers (Purdues) or free range chickens. What the hey? Should I be using young fryers? Should I be dry or wet brining? Does the rub used make a difference? Help!  ??? ???
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

FLBentRider

I have not done any chicken yet but I plan to real soon. I have read alot of posts here referencing tough poltry skin. The skin on the Turkey legs I've smoked is inedible. I tried peeling back the skin on a few. They were just as juicy as the ones with skin.

When I do my chicken, I am going to:

1. Take the skin off.
2. Brine in the foodsaver.
3. Rub.
4. Rest.
5. Smoke.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sherlock

I initially experienced the same thing. Several members suggested that I smoke the bird and the crisp the skin up on the grill or in the oven. The results will be what you desire.

Nathan

Habanero Smoker

Stick to smaller loads and smoke/cook at the highest temperature you can get your smoker; though you need to keep in mind that you want to keep the chicken in the smoker long enough the apply the amount of smoke you want. There is no reason to smoke/cook using the low and slow method with poultry. Keep the vent at least 3/4 open during the first couple of hours, then you can close it some after most of the moisture from the skin has evaporated. Then finish them in a oven or grill, at high temperature. Applying a light coat of corn starch over the skin prior to smoking, will help crisp the skin when you finish off in an oven. I've never been able to get the skin as crisp as I would like it, but it is edible.

Or you can just discard the skin, prior to eating. If you plan to do that then it is best to season the chicken under the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Rumor has it from my bird man up here you need to get the skin above the 325 F mark to get it to release the oils in the skin so it will "Fry" itself a bit and get crisp. He said either the correct grill heat or the oven will work. I've done the brined, beer butt / smoked chickens both in the oven and on the grill with good results following his advise on the higher heat finish thing.
Good reason to smoke more birds and practice  :) ;)

Artmiester

Thanks guys! You always come through. Gonna try dry brining, 2 hrs./250F w/apple on bottom rack with a light dusting of corn starch and finish them off on the rotissorie grill. Can't trash the skin, it's my favorite part. If they had "Bucket-O-Skin" at the local fried chicken place I'd be a daily customer.
I'll be doing an 8# butt for pulled pork along with the birds which should take 20-22 hrs. sans the chicken. I'll be topping everything off with Ice's sauce for Sunday's race. I'll get back w/results, maybe pics too. ;D ;D ;D   
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on March 12, 2008, 01:57:11 PM
Rumor has it from my bird man up here you need to get the skin above the 325 F mark to get it to release the oils in the skin so it will "Fry" itself a bit and get crisp. He said either the correct grill heat or the oven will work. I've done the brined, beer butt / smoked chickens both in the oven and on the grill with good results following his advise on the higher heat finish thing.
Good reason to smoke more birds and practice  :) ;)

He is 100% correct. You have to get the fat under the skin hot enough to crisp the skin. When using lower temperatures the fat renders out, and often after it renders out there is not much left to crisp the skin at high temperature.

Art; I'm with you. The skin is the best part.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Artmiester

On second thought I think I'll do the 8# Butt tonight and the birds Sun. morning early. Want to have more control and record what happens-when and get some pics. Thanx Habs, and good luck with the recipe forum. The Oldman really has it tuned up. ;D
The Artmiester

Artmiester

Friday night stuck an 8# pork butt in @ 9:00p and let 'er rip @ 250F w/4hrs. of aulder 'til 10:00p Sat., perfect. Brined two 4.5# chickens overnight, dusted them w/cornstarch and put them in for 3 hrs. @ 260 with 2hrs.-20 min. of apple along with the little pop up indicators they were packaged with. Rotated them @ 1-1/2hrs. and watched the temps come up on the probes to 139F and 140F. Put them on the spit at about 350F and the indicators popped up in 20 min. Left them turn for about 40 min. total and they were absolutely perfect. So crispy, tender and juicy I couldn't bring myself to sauce them. Glad to finally get a handle on "crisp" chicken. Thanks All! (Due to the frenzy that ensued i wasn't able to get pictures this time). ;D ;D ;D   
The Artmiester

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad everything worked out. The cornstarch idea came from one of the American Kitchen's publications. The corn starch works equally as well on wings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Artmiester

Wings it is! I'll do a couple of rafts for Easter weekend. What do you think about brining wings, Habs? Is it worth the effort? With Iceman's sauce they should be a hit. Gonna do a leg-o-lamb too with the Bradley paste. M-m-m-m-m-m. ;D ;D
The Artmiester

Habanero Smoker

Wings have so much fat that I have never had a problem with them drying. I usually use a marinade, or a rub. This is one of my favorite sites for recipes. Scroll down about half way down to see the wings recipe links. Also while you there take a look at the site. It's loaded with recipes and other useful information. With the recent posts on meatloaf, this site has a ton of meatloaf recipes.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/wings/wings.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Artmiester

Cool site Habs, A new chain of wing shacks opened about a year ago here called "Hurricane Wings". The Recipe Gold Mine site list is almost a dead ringer for there menu. Kind of pricey and they use the "petite" size wings available locally. Got some nice sauces though. I've got a chopped garlic sweet and sour sauce that i like but think I'll whip up at least one of their's and try it out. Thanx for the tip!  ;D ;D
The Artmiester