This is probably a dead horse but (spacer "Pucks")

Started by takem01, March 14, 2008, 07:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

Hi.
I just came into teh ranks of the Bradley smokers and purchased a portable propane unit.
What's the story with spacer pucks and do I need them for my unit?  I'm seeing them all over for around $20 and have no problem with getting them if I need them.  Also would appreciate any tips you might pass along as I'm pretty much a neophyte at smoking.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I can not give you any information regarding the propane BS use, but there are folks on here that can.  Bubba Pucks are useful on all the other BS units.  You put them in on top of the wood pucks, then at the end of the smoking portion, they will push the last wood puck off the burner plate if you have 3 of them.  I only have 2 and then just put another wood puck on top to push the bubba pucks far enough to get on the burner plate.  With smoking in the other BS units, for most foods, I recommend low and slow with plenty of patience.  As an example, I cook a brisket at 200F box temp until the meat reaches 185, then FTC for 3 or 4 hours.  While cooking, the meat temp will stall for a long time in the 160 to 170 range.  My last brisket took 13 hours to cook, but the results were perfect.  Very tender and the juices were flowing when I sliced it.  Prior to this last brisket, I cooked at 210 for a shorter time, but the meat was moist vice juicy and not quite as tender.  I believe it was Habs that got me to experiment with lower temps.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

IKnowWood

Welcome to the forum

Quick answer is yes.  Use the spacers in the Propane as well.  Same issue in the propane as in the OBS leading to the need for the spacer. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Stickbowcrafter

Payson

Stickbowcrafter, Is the 2 1/4" post stock readily available? Is it by chance chain link fence post? I've been wanting to do the same but couldn't find a pipe that was 2 1/4. I didn't think to look in the fencing area at Lowes if that's what it is.
Chris

Gizmo

One caution on these, with no center to keep the ring completely on top of the wood puck, you do have a risk of the wood puck center sitting inside the ring and when the slider pushes the puck onto the ramp with the ring sitting over the puck, the wood puck could hang up on the ring and cause a problem.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Stickbowcrafter

Never had that problem Giz. The walls of the rings are thick enough to keep the bisquettes from fitting inside.

Payson, I found the pipe stock in a friend's stash in his metal shop. Could be fence post but not sure.

-Brian

Chickenfarmers Wife

We use washers.
~Jana~

La Quinta

Very kool...what the hell is fireplace silicone? I'm not sure I've ever heard of it...other then to "glue" down a fireplace face? Or seal the box?

westexasmoker

Thanks LQ..I was wondering the same thing but did'nt want to ask....I'm just a guy!!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

iceman

The two types I know of are:

1. There is an actual high heat silicone made for setting glass, gaskets, etc. in fireplace and wood stove doors.

2. This one is more of a mortar type gel in a caulk tube that is made for repairing brick joints and flue pipe joints in fireplaces. It is made to temper up with heat and turns as hard as concrete when fully cured.

I know there are many more types out there but these are the most common found in hardware stores.

Chickenfarmers Wife

I think it was the high heat silicone for setting fireplace glass, etc. 
~Jana~

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: Stickbowcrafter on April 28, 2008, 06:49:56 AM
I found the pipe stock in a friend's stash
The next stop sign I drive over, I'm going to take home and slice it up just like in the picture.  ;D

using pipe ...... great idea.....thanks

Mike
soylent green is people

Kummok

Hmmmmm..... one part zinc galvinized washers, one part silicone based chemical, cook on hot plate to off-gassing stage with food, in enclosed container?!??! ??? Think I'll pass....... :o

La Quinta

YO MIKE...driving over stop signs...BAD...BAD...repeat after me...BAD...pipe ok...b...u...y...a...t...s...t...o...r...e...:)