new heater for bradleysmoker

Started by beefmann, March 14, 2008, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

found and installed a new 900 watt heating element for my smoker once i  get  some pics of the install i will post them here though here is the picture of the element and link

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?operator=keywordSearch&search_type=keyword&QueryString=4e266&submit.x=20&submit.y=12[flash=200,200][flash=200,200]

http://images.grainger.com/images/products/2E925.JPG

Habanero Smoker

That looks interesting. Are you going to tie that in to the existing wiring of the cabinet. If so I would be very interested in installing one also. If that can be tied into the current wiring, that would be ideal because the Raptor/Guru would be able to control both heating elements.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

actually I  have replaced the orginal heater with that one and added a blower motor to take care of air  flow so far working  great need to get pictures to show

Habanero Smoker

Sound good. That almost doubles your heat output. I hope you post your results on any improvement on performance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Beefman

That's very interesting. I'm been looking at those very same finned strip heaters and thinking the same thing. I too would be very interested in your results and photos. If you are familiar with my permanent cold smoke setup I have thought about installing an element similar to the one you mentioned into my cold smoke setup (not in the main tower). This could have a lot of advantages because there would be no heater in the main tower whatsoever.

On another note, I was thinking how a lot of people use a brick or two to help in temp recovery. I was thinking along the lines of using a small block of steel with a cartridge heater mounted into it. You could use 2 blocks of steel each with a 150 watt cartridge heater in them and have them sitting on each side at the front of the cabinet to distribute the heat better. They could probably be plugged in direct and run full time and the main heater could continue to be used in conjunction with a PID. It would add a 300 watt boost to the heating capacity without effecting the existing wiring in the unit.

Just kinda thinking out loud......

Keep us posted

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I was just thinking; after you have been using your setup for awhile; if you could also post if the extra heat has any effects the bisquettes, and/or the rate the water evaporates from the pan and if that creates any moisture issues.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

beefmann

hello all

I am unable to load pictures to this site as well as photobucket for what ever reason, however I am willing to send pictures to any one who wants to see them, As for the information I  have made this mod. this last week and have not done a smoke with the new mod. However in the new configuration it takes 1/4 of the time to heat to the desired temp of 250 with an outside temp of 50. my  experiance is less  then 5  to 7 mins  mins to be at  250 f with the new heater and 20 to 30 mins  with the old heater you  caan watch the pid climb in tempture every few seconds 1 degree.

some of this is a combination of a higher heating  element as well as the fins that are on it..

am planning to do a 10 lb ham for easter   with  my seasoning as well as orange soda in a pan infront of the fan to see how the  evaperation would work.

this heater element comes in several sizes  with the lowest being 350 watt and 120 volt and the highest being 1500 watt and 120 volt...

for thoes of you who can upload the  pictures for  me or want to take a look at them .. e   mail me at  [email protected] and in the subject line put "beefmann heater mod" and i will send pictures

thanks
beefmann

West Coast Kansan

I sent you an email.  Would be happy to post them.  Very interesting string here and am sure many of us are interested in the outcome.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

beefmann

oohhh 1 thing  i  did forget to say is that  i am using the  existing wireing from the orginal heating  element to  power the new one, and the blower is powered seperatly from the smoke generator. I  have put in a selector switch to choose between the smoke generator and PID / fan / heat side.

I do recomend that  with this  type taht a PID is installed and used. I  use the pid with no external ssr and after 10 hours of testing and montering it will work just  fine.

load accross the PID for the heater  is 7.5 amp and the blower an additional amp though it is not  contorlled through the PID

the total load max on  my  BS is at 8.5 amp @ 120 volts  and I  added another switch to  choose between  smoke or heat. very nice config

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: beefmann on March 16, 2008, 04:20:08 PM
oohhh 1 thing  i  did forget to say is that  i am using the  existing wireing from the orginal heating  element to  power the new one, and the blower is powered seperatly from the smoke generator.

beefman,

May want to keep an eye on the internal wiring; you are drawing nearly twice the current powering the new element (500 -> 900 watts).

Arcs_n_Sparks

beefmann

arcs,

has checked internal wirening and it is 18 gage to the heater and 16 else where

18 gage is good for 10 amps and the heater draws 7.5 amps as per calcs and confirmed  with an amp meter

thanks for your concern

Beefmann

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: beefmann on March 16, 2008, 05:23:59 PM
thanks for your concern

Just want to keep the blackened part on the inside   :D

After some hours on it, may want to check the crimp connections for any overheating signs. There have been some instances of poor crimps...

beefmann

alright will keep an eye on it... thanks for the heads up

West Coast Kansan

HERE ARE THE PHOTOS FOR BEEFMANN"S INSTALLATION - He can add the commentary.  ;)

;D  8)
I might worry a bit about grease dripping close to the back wall where the shroud is open but meat on racks would be straight above.  May want to add a deflector  ???

I think ya got some clean spots on the inside.  Thats not right :)  :)  :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Arcs_n_Sparks

So is this setup pulling air in and up, or down and out?