West Coast Kansan

thanks for posting the pictures

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: beefmann on March 16, 2008, 08:03:06 PM
West Coast Kansan

thanks for posting the pictures

beefmann

Thanks for supplying the pictures and information.

Photobucket it one of the easier hosting sites to use. I hope this helps you the next time you want to post pictures.

Once you get your account open. Go to the left side of the screen, and create a new album. You can give it any name; then click save. After it creates an album, it will open it up. This is where you want to load the pictures showing the new heater.

Look at the upload window on the right side of the screen, and make sure that the tab "Images from MY PC" is selected. Just below that tab you will see in very small print "max image size ---- x----- options". If the size is not 640x800 click on options and select that size. Click on save. The size 600x800 also works.

Next click on Browse, navigate to the folder on your computer that you stored the pictures and select a file. Repeat this process until you have all the files loaded. If you want the pictures to come up in chronological order, load the pictures in the reverse order you've taken them.

After the pictures have uploaded. You just need to click on the box underneath each images that you want to post.

Once you have selected the images scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Generated HTML, Ebay and IMG Code". This will take you to another page. Click inside the box either "IMG images for message boards" or "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended". This will automatically copy the codes into your clipboard.

If you been successful up to this point, you now only need to paste these codes inside your message.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

whooooaaa.  How about the specs on the blower????  I have a circ fan that does an decent job, however, this looks like the big daddy version.  May we have the details please?

beefmann

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4MH21

there  is the link to the blower, wire it so that it runs on high to provide enough air  flow over  the heater, the one i  have does run very warm to hot even with the heating  element being off just the nature of the beast as well as having a fan attached on the motor inside the mounting  part between the motor and shroud externally to the BS.

one thing I will also add has ran this blower motor for 4 months every weekend for  at least 7 hours plus 4 -24 hour runs. 2 with just the fan ann 2 with the old bradley heater first day at 180 annd second at 230 held stedyand  still  going  strong with no signs of it operating outside of its heat pariaminters.. it is  designed for high out put heaters to begin with. also with the new heater gets to temp of 180 or 190 in about 5 or 6 mins 250 in under 10

Mr Walleye

Hi Beefman

I hope you don't take this the wrong way and I certainly don't intend this to be anything but constructive, I thought I would post some of my observations on your project.

A cage style blower is a larger volume type blower. Although I think your setup will provide more than enough heat, I wonder if the volume of air will be an issue. You could install a switch to control the volume of the air if it is too high.

I also agree with WCK's comment regarding the possibility that grease could drip down into the shroud opening which could be a potential problem. Certainly building a deflector could resolve this.  

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Beefman

One other question... Do you know if the finned strip heater you used is required to have a certain air flow over it, in order for it to not overheat and burn out?

I'm just curios because as I indicated earlier I had also looked at this strip heater.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

mike

i have installed a switch on mine for a high low configurition as for  volume im not sure what the  requirement  is on the finned heater i used. As for the grease dripping onto it i will watch out for  it and see what i  come up  with.. might  get another piece of  metal and have it bent again and where the top opening  is  bend it to where the drippings wont interfear with the heater

careff

So how is it working is it worth putting a fin heater in and can I just change my Bradley heater to a fin heater so I can cook foods through quicker
The Devil hates a Coward
🇨🇦😈

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum careff!

I was under the impession that the higher capacity heater had more to do with getting up to temp faster and recovering from door opens faster than cooking faster. Most of the food I smoke I want to cook low and slow - higher heat and faster cooking makes for tough pulled pork, IMHO.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

It would be nice to have that extra heat. The extra heat does give you a lot more options as to how you could use your Bradley for poultry, prime rib, top loin, and other foods you would like to cook at a higher temperature. You would just need to remember to keep the smoker under 320°F, so you don't blow the high temperature fuse.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

careff

Yes thats what I been thinking  maybe doing a roast or something bigger than what I have been doing. I have been making Beer, pepperion,farmer sausage and smokies out of deer all winter at sometimes 30 to 40 below. Now I a'm ready to start on a roast or something bigger but I would like to finish in the Bradley in cold temperatures or even speed up the process.
The Devil hates a Coward
🇨🇦😈

beefmann

based on my experiance with over 125 hours on the finned  heater  it will almost double the heat volume... with the 900 watt finned heater @ 50' f to 190 took about  10 minutes... and has hit 350 in about 20 to 25 mins @ 50 to 55 f.... with the 500  watt element mine  never  went above 220 on a 55' f  day.

just be sure that you  haave  plenty of air flow over the heater and try to avoid  dripping grease onto a hot element.

a fan or  blower will help with air flow though i would recomend placing the fan/blower below  the heater ... heat rises and makes more sense to have the blower / fan closer to the  bottom

careff

Yes I already installed a small fan inside and out which I picked up on the Bradley post awhile ago. It really changed the heat temperature so I could control it better. The meat did cook faster and the time did drop alot, still cooking slow enough that create a good sausage. I would like to be able smoke and then cook something through like a roast or large item. Right now it is border line on being cooked completely with the basic element that comes with it.
The Devil hates a Coward
🇨🇦😈

beefmann

careff,

I have had the same problem.. that is why I went with the 900 watt finned heater and a PID controller it makes a HUGE difference you can set the tempture lower and above your IT goal while  still  slow cooking. I typically cook between 190 and 220 with a 5 to 8 degree swing. and the top vent being open 1 /2 way if i want a  drier less moist piece of  meat. If i want it moist then the vent is  closed  with a tray  of water / orange juice / orange soda or any other liquid to help keep the  moisture up with zero problems in the bradley.

just do a light  cleaning to remove any splatter and your  done

wheres da beef