pulled pork crust ???

Started by allen_d, March 17, 2008, 09:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allen_d

I rolled the dice and did my first pulled pork. 

The following is how I loaded the smoker:
Bottom Rack: Baked beans.
Second Rack: ~5 pound pork shoulder cut, tied with butchers twine, rubbed with special seasoning.  I have a wired thermometer routed out of the top of the smoker to monitor the temperature of this pork.
3rd Rack: nothing. (what a waste of space.... darn it.)
4th Rack: ~4 pound corned beef.

So... I started by smoking for 4 hours at 200 degrees, and left the damper on top open about an 1/8-1/4 inch.  The weather outside was about 35 degrees.  (for the love of idaho!!!)

At the end of the 4 hours... i pulled the beans. 

I increased the temperature to 210.

~16 hours later, the pork and beef were at 170, so i removed the corned beef and FTC... it had a minimal "crust" on it.

~20 hours later, the pork was at 187 degrees, so i removed it, and SFTC, with some apple juice as i noticed a crust on the pork. 

I later removed the pork and began pulling it. 

So here is the problem... The pork seems to have a relatively thick crust on it.  The meat inside tastes incredible.  Is there a way to minimize the crust that i have created???

Thanks in advance for your help and insight. 

smoke on!!!

Mr Walleye

For me I absolutely love the bark. I sometimes (if I don't eat it all while I'm pulling it) set it aside and when I'm done pulling the pork I chop the bark with a knife and mix it into the pulled pork. It adds lots of great flavor IMHO.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Like little flavor beads when you chop it up and mix it in...  ;D  ;D

When I feel like a little extra crust I will give the butt a second rub including mustard again in the morning after it has rested in the fridge wrapped in saran wrap following an initial rub the night before.

If you really don't want bark use less rub and leave more fat in place. The fat will usually lift off - bark with it - will take the fat side away at least. If you really like your rub you can sprinkle it lightly once the butt is pulled. I will do this with Bad Byrons Rub sometimes.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Wrapping in foil after smoking will lessen the amount of bark build up as well.  The amount that is created in 4 hours is perfect for my so I like to boat the meat after smoking to finish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

The crust (bark) is the best part. Especially as mentioned earlier, when it is shaved off, chopped and mix in with the meat.

In addition to Gizmo's information, using a rub with less sugar, and applying less rub will also reduce the crust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Ship the bark to me.  I will dispose of it for ya.  :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

DrunkenMick

I had the exact opposite last butt i did.  Not enough bark!! I love me some bark.  I think i'll try West Coast Kansan's idea and re-slather and rub again after it comes out of the fridge overnight before putting in the box to try to get some more bark. 

Artmiester

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 17, 2008, 09:21:56 PM
For me I absolutely love the bark. I sometimes (if I don't eat it all while I'm pulling it) set it aside and when I'm done pulling the pork I chop the bark with a knife and mix it into the pulled pork. It adds lots of great flavor IMHO. Mike
Mike, I think you must be my long lost brother in the cosmos. ;D ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Artmiester on March 18, 2008, 07:14:33 AM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 17, 2008, 09:21:56 PM
For me I absolutely love the bark. I sometimes (if I don't eat it all while I'm pulling it) set it aside and when I'm done pulling the pork I chop the bark with a knife and mix it into the pulled pork. It adds lots of great flavor IMHO. Mike
Mike, I think you must be my long lost brother in the cosmos. ;D ;D ;D

That's the advantage of being the cook!

:D  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

Cosmo Brother Mike  ;)

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 18, 2008, 02:32:15 AM
The crust (bark) is the best part. Especially as mentioned earlier, when it is shaved off, chopped and mix in with the meat.

In addition to Gizmo's information, using a rub with less sugar, and applying less rub will also reduce the crust.

The problem I have experienced with that method Hab is a great deal of self control must be applied or you don't have any crust to mix back in with the pulled meat!!! :D ;) In theory it's a great thing to do. Making it work is the hard part! :D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on March 18, 2008, 09:32:18 AM

The problem I have experiencedwith that metod Hab is a great deal of self control must be applied or you don't have any crust to mix back in with the pulled meat!!! :D ;) In theory it's a great thing to do. Making it work is the hard part! :D

I know what you mean. I've had a couple of those moments. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

allen_d

I.... am..... a..... little..... slow.... !!!

I didn't think to chop it up..... i loved the flavor of the bark as i was pulling it... though there were huge chunks of it in the serving bowl that didn't go well on a sandwich.

thanks for the help...