Reheating "AIN'T YOUR MOMMA'S MEATLOAF" question

Started by Pheasant Hollow Farm, March 18, 2008, 07:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheasant Hollow Farm

I had the chance on doing this and also adding venison to the recipe, which came out bodacious by the way, my question is, what is the best way to thaw and re-heat. I had made close to 10 lbs of meat loaf and it was smoked as 3 loafs. One was consumed as dinner, and the other two after the FTC was placed in the freezer for future use.

What would be the best way to do this? Should I place the frozen meatloaf in the smoker and do a slow re-heat and re-smoke, or just do a slow re-heat and serve, or just stick it in the conventional oven?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

iceman

Hey Steve;
The last one I pulled from the freezer I wrapped in foil and let it thaw overnight in the fridge. Then I just tossed it in a 325F oven for a little over an hour after work. I pulled it at 155F and served it up.
It was still nice and moist from being wrapped up tight. You could probably do it in the Bradley but the oven would be a lot quicker.

Pheasant Hollow Farm

Quote from: iceman on March 18, 2008, 09:26:38 AM
Hey Steve;
The last one I pulled from the freezer I wrapped in foil and let it thaw overnight in the fridge. Then I just tossed it in a 325F oven for a little over an hour after work. I pulled it at 155F and served it up.
It was still nice and moist from being wrapped up tight. You could probably do it in the Bradley but the oven would be a lot quicker.

Pat,(iceman)
Again I would like to thank you for the info on this great forum. I will try your suggestion on the 3 lb. meatloaf as I am about to take it out of the freezer. My freezer holds temps at -10 below. I will let you know how it turns out.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm

Well I did what Pat(iceman)suggested and the meat loaf came out just as good, if not even better then the original meat loaf smoking.

One meatloaf left in the freeze. If this one comes out the same way next month, I will do another 10lbs.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

aha638

When I do meatloaf, I always do several extras and cut them into meal size pieces and then seal them up with my Food Saver.  I do not do a full "pull down" - I don't want to compact the meatloaf.  I reheat the frozen meatloaf in boiling water - work great, and is easy.

Al

iceman

Quote from: aha638 on March 22, 2008, 07:52:04 AM
When I do meatloaf, I always do several extras and cut them into meal size pieces and then seal them up with my Food Saver.  I do not do a full "pull down" - I don't want to compact the meatloaf.  I reheat the frozen meatloaf in boiling water - work great, and is easy.

Al

Dang good idea for quick dinners during the week.

Habanero Smoker

I generally make 8oz loaves, and freeze them. I like the crusty part of the meat loaf, and this gives you plenty of crust and you don't have to unfreeze more then you need at the time. I just seen a Penzey's recipe, and I might start making 4 oz loaves the next time I smoke meatloaf. Tomorrow I am making 4 ounce loaves for part of an Easter dinner, but that batch will be cooked in the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)