Howdy from a new OBS user in Calgary, Alberta

Started by BearLeeAlive, March 20, 2008, 06:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearLeeAlive

Hi all.

I have been lurking here and at a few other smoking sites over the last couple weeks, trying to decide on what smoker to buy. I decided on the OBS because of a few reasons, easy to use with minimal supervision, great reviews, oh yeah, and $100 of at $279 at Canadian Tire. I also bought 2 boxes of 48 biscuits at CT and I got 120 on eBay for $33 to my door today as well. I still need a meat thermometer and a couple things. Unfortunately I am leaving town for the weekend in the morning, but look forward to my first smoke next week.

Lots yet to learn, but it will come with time and practice I am sure. I have done a bit of smoking using my propane BBQ, indirect heat, and a smoke box. I have read about a few mods to make too, and may do that in time.

I also learned today not to use in under a covered veranda. I set it up just outside the back door and the smoke wafts in to the house when I open the door. I am just seasoning in right now.  ;D
~ JIM ~

Mr Walleye

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum
I'm from Moose Jaw, SK. not that far away from you.

Lots of fun & good food ahead!  ;)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of friendly folks around here willing to share.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BearLeeAlive

Thanks Mike, it sure does seem friendly and helpful around here, I figured that out in my days of lurking. I love these online communities for the sharing of knowledge and fun. I have a couple other favs that tie in to a couple hobbies, mainly photography and canoeing.
~ JIM ~

La Quinta

Welcome BearLee...watch out for Walleye Fish Man (he knows too much)!!! :) :)

BearLeeAlive

I consider myself warned. Though it might be too late, I have already read some of his posts and learned from them, am I doomed?

~ JIM ~

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: BearLeeAlive on March 20, 2008, 07:41:14 PM
I have already read some of his posts and learned from them, am I doomed?

Relax...The heat and smoke are fine.....Pass over to the dark of the Borg (oh, I meant OBS) collective....  :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

La Quinta

You're new...and young no doubt...you should be ok for now!! Watch out for Arcs too...And the "o"...(they're not from our planet)! :) As long as you hang with us humanoids you should be good!!! :)

BearLeeAlive

I'm not that young, thus my username. ;)
But I'm not really that old either.  ;D
~ JIM ~

La Quinta

Me too BearLee...(see what I said about Arcs...) (wink wink...)

BearLeeAlive

Wow, this sounds like it could be a terrifying place to hang out.
~ JIM ~

NePaSmoKer

Hi Bear

Great bunch of bradley folks here, your part of a family

and welcome

nepas

BearLeeAlive

~ JIM ~

La Quinta

Nah...I'm just messin with ya BearLee...really good people here...nice folks who want to help...smoke like a madman and have fun!! :)

BearLeeAlive

~ JIM ~

hotrod

so that was you biddin on those from surrey??  so was I see them go sky rocket at about 8 seconds left i was just laughin thinkin how long it will take someone to be on the forum ... cheers to good bidding if thats the ones you are talkin about... I was talkin with that guy for a few days getting all the specifics...  I am doing 12 lbs of deer jerky tommorrow either have to find some more racks or just do a few batches... Its soakin tonight and smoke tommorrow

Cheers
hotrod