Howdy from a new OBS user in Calgary, Alberta

Started by BearLeeAlive, March 20, 2008, 06:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearLeeAlive

Yep hotrod, that was me. Sorry if I outbid you. That deer jerky sounds great. I haven't hunted in a couple years, just too busy, but next year I am going to get out for sure. I used to do jerky in the dehydrator, I look forward to doing it in the smoker now. You wanna send a couple strips this way.
~ JIM ~

Gizmo

Welcome to the forum Bear.
Don't retire the dehydrator too soon.  You might like to finish your jerky in the dehydrator.  I find I like the finish better.  After the smoke is done in the smoker, you have an oven.  Most dehydrators have a fan that moves air and a heating element.  The movement of air (IMHO) does a better job of removing moisture from the meat and does it more evenly.  It is also easier to rotate the trays for more consitant and even drying.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

BearLeeAlive

Thanks Gizmo, good advice on the jerky, makes sense. Smoke in the smoker, then dry it to the level you like in the dehydrator. I wouldn't get rid of the dehydrator anyway, I use it lots for prepping food for longer canoe, or backpacking trips lots too.
~ JIM ~

FLBentRider

Welcome. Lots of knowledge here. not alot of it mine.  ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  Post some drool pictures on here when you get a chance.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Welcome Bear, and enjoy. I agree with Gizmo on the dehydrator. I've done jerky with and without using it, and I think the dehydrated version comes out much better.

BearLeeAlive

fibentrider, Wildcat, thanks for the welcome. I sure do hope to gain knowledge here, and share some photos of my great successes.  ;D
~ JIM ~

BearLeeAlive

Thanks Ontrack, even though I don't have any venison in the freezer, I may just try some beef by marinading it, flavouring it in the smoker and finishing it in the dehydrator.
~ JIM ~

hotrod

I am trying a new recipe today with ground up chili peppers... will see how its going to turn out in another 7 hours the smoke is flyin and I hope i wake the neighbors... Then its time to go fishin and for a few coolies when its done!!! Puts out hat for chip donations... jeeze this is the same as poker ... everyone needs chips!!!  Hope you enjoyed that few pieces i sent ya Jim.... ;) or the picture anyhow :):)   Will be smokin and readin posts throughout the day ... is it noon yet???  looks for the cooler :)

BearLeeAlive

Quote from: hotrod on March 21, 2008, 07:24:13 AM... is it noon yet???  looks for the cooler :)
It is noon somewhere, go ahead and crack one open.
~ JIM ~

Tiny Tim

Anytime after 6 AM is good with me...don't even have to be the same day. ;D ;D ;D

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BearLeeAlive

~ JIM ~

hotrod

well ok i will start off with a tea and grande marnier... good for the sinuses so they say... the smokes a rollin... ya its party weekend I have to warm up for mexico in two weeks ... . P A R T Y .... WHY  ??  cause we can

buys a round for the house... cheers lets kick it up a notch....

shazammmm

NePaSmoKer

how about kicked up jerky and a few nips for me   ;D  ;D

nepas