Proud owner of a New DBS

Started by smashraj84, March 23, 2008, 01:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smashraj84

I'm looking for a electric smoker and I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of each.  I know this is a Bradley website, so there will be bias, but I'm just curious to know what the differences are.

DBS-  you can perform longer unattended smokes because of the constant feeding of disks, consistent wood source means more reliable smoke flavors

MBES- the lack of a disk feeding mechanism means one less part that could potentially break or malfunction, a little bit cheaper, does not rely on specific brand of wood

what else?

Wildcat

The BS wood bisquettes do not burn - they just smolder so you get a pure smoke without any ash or rancid type of taste that you can get out of hard wood that actually burns.  The trade off is there is no smoke ring, which does not add any flavor anyway.  Each of the BS bisquettes lasts for about 20 minutes each.  Not really familiar with the MBES.  My prior smokers were off-set firebox types.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smashraj84

I've been doing research for about 3 weeks and I think i'm pretty much sold on the DBS.  Just seeing if I could find any devil's advocates here.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: smashraj84 on March 23, 2008, 01:51:30 PM
I know this is a Bradley website, so there will be bias, but I'm just curious to know what the differences are.

Bias here is getting a good smoke and helping people out.   :D

Did not own a MBES, but did have a charcoal smoker prior to the OBS. What gets you lazy is the automatic puck feed so you do not have to worry about tending to the wood chips (friend has an electric smoker, but same issue). If you are extra lazy, throw on a PID controller for full hands-free operations (or the DBS) . This leaves your hands free for adult beverages.  8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

hollyandtheivybhx

What is a PID controller ??

Thanx

Lin

Wildcat

Wrap in Foil, then in a Towel, then place into a Cooler.

Tiny Tim

Wrong one, Wild........PID, not FTC. :D

A PID is a temp controller that several of us use to more tightly control the temperature in the cabinet, down to 1 or 2 degrees higher or lower than what we set it to.  I like mine because I'd rather set the heat to an actual number than to try to figure out where to set the slider to get said temperature (I have the OBS in Black).

Wildcat

Oops!  I guess it was tooo early in the morning after last night.  I had seen another post asking about FTC and when I got here I guess the old brain was too foggy.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on March 24, 2008, 10:14:35 AM
Oops!  I guess it was tooo early in the morning after last night.  I had seen another post asking about FTC and when I got here I guess the old brain was too foggy.  ;D

I can sympathize with that. I'm on early in the morning, and often misread posts. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

There was a glossary started a couple of time but never got a sticky.  Would need to be controlled anyway... Welcome to my world CAT!  ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

smashraj84

Ok fellas (and fellettes), I've decided to go with the 4 rack DBS.

What are all the accessories (besides meats, rubs, etc.) I need to get started?

So far I've ordered:

Maverick ET-73
Bubba Pucks (3)
Bradley Bisquettes (variety of flavors)
--------------------------------------

Anything else I'm missing?

Wildcat

Iceman's sauce and rub and adult beverages.

Ontrack

With what you've ordered and Wildcat added, you're ready to smoke! Of course there are many more things that you way want down the line at some time, but they aren't required for smoking great food. (Injector, PID, sausage stuffer, reveo, slicer, grinder, etc.,etc.)

smashraj84

Arcs_n_Sparks

That would be your Porter Indicating Device. Shows you where you left your beer.    :D

Actually, it is a Proportional, Integral, Derivative temperature controller. A type of closed-loop control scheme.

Arcs_n_Sparks