Yet another PID question...

Started by flipperz71, March 24, 2008, 05:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

yes thx i was understood but didnt explain enough.

Tiny Tim

Toker

on the circonstances you mentionned i will use a cold smoke set up (outside box )for my smoke gen heat and a pid for the cabinet.

Tiny Tim

I was going to make a mention of the cold smoke box, but didn't want to throw another curve at you, if you hadn't been understanding the other stuff.  Now that you have all that figured out, when are you installing the ABS (Automatic Beverage Server)?

Have a good one.

Toker

sorry i dont drink lol! unless i didnt understood your joke  :D

Tiny Tim

You understood it....but beverages can mean water, pop (soda), and tea/lemonade as well. :D

Toker

if i asked everything about pid its beacause i fond a couple pre wire on ebay and its seems to be the best for preheating the smoker at a specific temp before puting the food inside. about 45$. Since i already own a maverick thermometer, it will be easier to cook perfectly. Like habs bacon, mtl smoked meat, jerky etc

Toker

hey wildcat one last question...What is diferancial.( for pid of course) it says ajustable from 1 to 30 degree. If i want my pid to be accurate at +-1 degree should i set at 1 differencial? Sorry never seen it before.

Wildcat

On my PID, there is a way to set the differential.  Basically, if you can determine exactly what the true cabinet temperature is from another reliable source and the PID does not have the same reading, then you can use this feature to correct the PID.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Toker

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: toker1313 on May 21, 2008, 01:06:19 PM
Ok thx i undertood it will adjust in function of the sg. So if the sg is on it will say 200 with it and when im done with the sg it will higher the heat beacause i closed the sg thank you now i know.

toker1313,

Correct. The PID is regulating what it can to reach a setpoint. If the SG is on, it is providing some heat and the box heating element needs to provide less to reach a certain temperature. Turn the SG off, and the box heating element will be asked to provide more heat to maintain the setpoint temperature.

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

I think Tim and Wild and Sparcs nailed this for ya....And from my small experince you defintely want a PID!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Hooked on smoke

The differintial setpoint is the number of degrees away from set point the PID will start to take action. If set too low like 1 degree it will act as a on-off switch. if set too high it will take way too long to dial in. the PID should learn this also.

Toker

So at wich diferential degree should i set it to be more even temp?

Hooked on smoke

The PID should learn this as it goes along, but a good starting point would be about 5 degrees. That way as it gets close to temp it will start to cut back and not over shoot. If it does over shoot by more than a few degrees, increase setting a dgree at a time. If it never gets to temp take one off.