New User - General Questions

Started by Mardi, November 23, 2004, 07:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

We did 4 dozen ABT's this Thanksgiving...first time making them.  One of the things that folks forget to tell those of us who have not handled them enmasse is make sure you are wearing rubber gloves when doing prep work.  The young lady my son sees was surprised to see me sitting there hand processing JalapeƱo peppers without gloves.  She works for a caterer.  My hands are like leather despite sitting behind a desk all day.  No problem until much later even after washing hands thouroughly.  Wow one should not put their hands in their mouth until next day, nor should I rub my eye....

Man that pepper lives for awhile!  We used peppers about 3-4" long.  Some were with a bit of a tang, others hotter...

Heartburn for hours, but quite tasty.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Bill not to laugh at you but I'm chuckling to myself, have you ever made fresh Horse Radish?

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />is make sure you are wearing rubber gloves when doing prep work.  

Man that pepper lives for awhile!  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bill,

I don't wear gloves either, shoot thats the way I find out if I have "Hot Batch" or not.  After the first time you WILL LEARN to wash your hands SEVERAL times.

Just a side note, don't go and use the bathroom either.  It can be painful in both areas...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Just a side note, don't go and use the bathroom either. It can be painful in both areas<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Slip a jalepeno in your pants, it will make you jump and dance! [:D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />No problem until much later even after washing hands thouroughly.  Wow one should not put their hands in their mouth until next day, nor should I rub my eye....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hope you didn't take a leak![;)] And I speak from experience.[:0]

Actually, there is a product out there called Tecnu Poison Oak & Ivy Cleanser made to remove the oils of those plants from your skin after exposure. I have tried it several times after working with hot peppers & it removes those oils as well.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

That jalepeno oil reminds me of when I used to commercial salmon fish and sometimes the lines would come up with "jelly" on them from when you trolled over jelly fish. It was usually benign stuff unless you could see little red filaments in it--that red stuff was a nightmare if you got it on your hands and then happened to scratch your face or worse, rub your eyes. Milk helped a little to lessen the sting, but not much.
Tom

Sesh

Poblanos (called Anchos when dried) smoke up nicely also.  They've got great fruit flavors.

Mardi

"They came out slightly brown, firm but soft...plan on freezing and using in salsas, beans, sauces, etc. Would believe its not terribly important to remove the skin. Again, lots of effort to do so...in addition most of what I make will be pureed into a sauce...."

I freeze mine at the soft stage.  Then when I thaw them, I just scrape the flesh off the skin, dice it, and add to salsas, sauces, etc.  You probably don't want to use the skin unless you are putting it in something where you can fish it out later.  The skin is pretty tough.

Ian

Goodmorning Sam, I apologize for my late reply, as I've had too much to do with very little time. Anyhow as Mardi has stated "I have in the past, both froze and vacuumed sealed the jalepeno's at various stages in processing," but what I've done more and more of lately is to have them with a ratio of 50/50 cord and non cord, and hot smoked for a period of up to 7 hours with 4 hours of cherry smoke at a temp., of 160 degrees. Then dehydrated them till dry at which point I will process them in a food proccessor and/or a coffee grinder, depending on what application the finished product will be used for ( soups, stews, sauces, meals etc). I've also taken them off the B.S., and jarred them, covered in a garlic infused extra virgin      ( kinda different). Hope this answers your questions.[8D]

Ian
<b>GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!</b>

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sesh</i>
<br />Poblanos (called Anchos when dried) smoke up nicely also.  They've got great fruit flavors.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font color="blue"><b><u>Word on that.</u> </b></font id="blue"> Pablanos are my favorite but at twice the cost.  I usually stuff them with super sharp white cheddar and bacon then wrap them with some cheap bacon to keep them all together.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...