The timer...she's no good

Started by whitetailfan, March 25, 2008, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

I know we've had some issues over the years with the bisquette advancers on some members smokers, can't remember if we've had this or not?

The advancer is working fine and smooth, push button, advancer moves.  Problem is last smoke I did, the last few pucks never moved.  I was too busy with the meat to worry much about it at the time.  So, I pulled the generator apart and did a good air cleaning of all particles inside.  After testing on my bench, same deal.  I can manually advance pucks with the red button, but the clock-auto-advance feature is not working...

Any ideas on how to fix?
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MWS

Quote from: Thunder Fish on December 15, 2007, 05:26:19 PM
when mine does not cycle or partially cycles try this........................Plug the unit in press the feed button and pull the cord mid cycle or before..............un plug then plug it back in,let cycle to where it wants to, press the feed button and have a look and see if it is working....................might surprise you  ::)
Terry

The above suggestion is from Thunder Fish. The same thing happened to me and his trick worked.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Also clean the contact points or the arm at the end of the motor shaft and the strike plate. Some times they get too dirty for the to points to receive an electrical connection.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Stickbowcrafter

I've been real fortunate with no problems to date. I do store my OBS indoors when not in use and I try to always do minor upkeep like wiping the seals and keeping the rest of the unit semi-clean. Is there any periodic maintenance I should be performing to help stay ahead of any problems?

-Brian

iceman

Quote from: Stickbowcrafter on March 27, 2008, 10:48:57 AM
I've been real fortunate with no problems to date. I do store my OBS indoors when not in use and I try to always do minor upkeep like wiping the seals and keeping the rest of the unit semi-clean. Is there any periodic maintenance I should be performing to help stay ahead of any problems?

-Brian

Periodicaly when I walk by the smoker I stop and have a cold one. Other than that not much to do.  ;D ;)
You can unscrew the top vent once in awhile and clean the gunk off if it gets to sticky. Like you said, just keeping it semi clean will be good enough.

Stickbowcrafter

I like that kind of maintenance Ice. Definitely something I can handle  ;D

-Brian

whitetailfan

Well today I tried both Icemans method, and more importantly, I tried the Thunderfish trick.
Worked - wooohooooooo

I did not get out the stopwatch, but I got all of my bubba pucks to advance, so that is better than it was yesterday.

Got some old tough steak that I'm gonna whip into jerky this weekend based on my findings today.  Give it a real test.

Thanks guys for finding that old thread.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Consiglieri

Glad it worked for you, WTF.  I've bookmarked this thread for further reference.
Consiglieri

Artmiester

I had trouble with intermittent cycles on my new DBS and got the generator replaced under warranty after a long ordeal, but during that time I talked to a Bradley employee named Nelsen, I think it was (thanks to Mr. Walleye). He told me to try adjusting the micro switch located where the swing arm elbow touches it halfway through the cycle. It only needs to be moved 1/64" to 1/32" closer to the elbow. It's worked on three units so far. Never used the replacement yet but it's ready and waiting. I haven't tried the "pullin the plug" method yet but haven't had to. Been almost a year now. Makes sense though.  ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

ChrisWms

I'm just trying to season my OBS for the first time, the first bisquette advanced automatically, now I can't even get the next one to manually advance.  Very clueless beginner asking here...

Any ideas?

Chris

Consiglieri

I've read several posts about bisquette cycling problems.  One potential problem is that the tube may have been inserted too far or incorrectly.  Try removing the pucks and the tube and see if you can hear the mechanism advance when you push the button.

Another cure for cycling problems I read, and I don't know why this works, is to unplug the generator while the generator is advancing a puck.  I don't think that is a fit for your problem though. 

Could be that some puck particles are jamming the mechanism.  Maybe try shooting some compressed air into the generator.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck sorting out the problem.  You're going to have a lot of fun with that machine. 
Consiglieri

Mr Walleye

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

Just to add to Consiglieri's comment, it requires 3 pucks for 1 puck to make it to the burner plate. So, for an example, if you were going to burn 3 pucks, you would load 5.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

Quote from: Mr Walleye on May 17, 2008, 09:58:30 AM
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

Just to add to Consiglieri's comment, it requires 3 pucks for 1 puck to make it to the burner plate. So, for an example, if you were going to burn 3 pucks, you would load 5.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, I forgot the cardinal rule: try the simple fix first.
Consiglieri

ChrisWms

Thanks, I realized I only loaded 4 total minutes after posting.  Put some shoulders in today for its maiden voyage.  Thanks again!