What is everyone's plan for Thanksgiving...more

Started by SmokinMoe, November 24, 2004, 02:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

Well, since Canadian TG was last month, I'll be stuck in the office while Mallard is out wackin' green heads...Good luck by the way you son-of-a-duck.[:D]

Actually I quietly think it would be in most employers best interest just to close down business for another day.  My plan is to fire up nfl.com and watch the play by play scroll on my monitor while taking care of paper based work on my desk.  I swear US Thanksgiving is the least productive work day in Canada, bar none...

Have a good day all.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />Well, since Canadian TG was last month, I'll be stuck in the office while Mallard is out wackin' green heads...Good luck by the way you son-of-a-duck.[:D]

.  I swear US Thanksgiving is the least productive work day in Canada, bar none...
Have a good day all.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey bud, Speaking of <b><font color="blue"><i><u>WACKING</u></i></font id="blue"></b>, we did the smote on 31 Saturday morning.  Mainly Teal....It was a Beeeuuuutiful thing.  Going tommarow morning and the wife will pulling the briskets while I am gone.

Well at least have a great NFL day....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

pinkertonfloyd

I have a 15Lb. Turkey right now in the brine. Gallon of Apple Juice, Gallon of ice water, a couple juiced oranges (and threw the rinds in for the hell of it, some peppercorns, and a Cup and a half of Kosher Salt... Sitting in a Coleman Cooler with a 20Lbs bag of Ice in it. I'll probably pull it out a couple hours before and let it dry.

Bought a box of Cherry Pucks... Placing the bird on a Spanek (Vertical) Roaster with a small cake pan to capture the juice and probably put some of the brine it it to start things off. Figuring about 8 Hours (1/2 Hour a Lb or so The vertical way is supposed to speed things up a bit.).

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

well guys dont let your wives see this, but i do all the cooking and the meal planing and all the shoping at my house all the time, just another day of cooking for the wife and i and the 4 kids and there boyfriends and girlfriends, did up a 20lb ham in a t-shirt on sunday, (thanks dow-oldman) for the tips that will go into the oven it will look just like his sauce and all, have 2 large turkey breast in some honey/apple juice/ salt/ suger brine, smoke it in the bradley with pecan pucks, the grean bean thing and garlic mashed tators, rolls, made up a homade pumpkin cream cheese pie, also a rosted corn/tomato/avacado salad, also some smoked cheese and crackers, and a few watermellon martinis,

Oldman

Going to keep it simple for this Ole man....Warm Brandy, Cold Beer, and a very Soft Wife~~~hehe heheh  you youngins' got to learn what to be Thank-full for!

One thing about being around the gaming group I with is the things you can learn. Below is an  animated gif file of my wife made from a several photos, and with that you will see why this ole man smiles at night.

A good and safe Thanksgiving all...
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Wished all the Americans Happy TG on another thread before I found this one--hope everybody down south (and North for you Kummock)  has a great day. Just pulled a couple of yarbirds out of the smoker--good result for my first effort.
Cheers,
Tom

mrdennisg

Well since my smoker isn't finneshed yet wife and I are spending Thanksgiving at Leavenworth
[:)]
http://www.leavenworth.com/

Name my Smoker!!!!
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=605&whichpage=3

owrstrich

i cant preheat because im smoking indoors so at 12am i loaded the 2 5lb breasts... turned it on high... advanced 3 pucks... set the bs alarm at 225 and the meat alarm at 165... went to bed...

at 5am the bs alarm went off... the meat was at 164... i waited for it to come up to 165 and foil towel wrapped at 5:30am...

i unwrapped them at 10:30am and pulled the warm moist meat off the bones and commenced grubbing... the turkey is a++ for sure...

one breast i left the skin on and i removed the skin on the other...

the breast with skin has a crispy outside and when the skin is pulled off the smoke flavor is slight... the way micki likes it...

the breast without the skin was not crispy at all and the smoke flavor is very pronounced... the way i like it...

4hrs of hickory... 5hrs total time... 5hrs wrapped... awesome...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

pinkertonfloyd

Turkey came out in 8.5 hours, pulled it at 165 (Breast). It was moist, had a wonderful light smoke flavor. Everyone loved it. We had two turkeys, one Smoked, one "Normal". Smoked was gone... Normal is still 75 there. [:D]
The color on it was awsome! Everyone was amazed when I pulled the foil off (I drove it to my in-laws a few miles away).

nsxbill

Pinkertonfloyd

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  03:42:58      
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turkey came out in 8.5 hours, pulled it at 165 (Breast). It was moist, had a wonderful light smoke flavor. Everyone loved it. We had two turkeys, one Smoked, one "Normal". Smoked was gone... Normal is still 75 there.
The color on it was awsome! Everyone was amazed when I pulled the foil off (I drove it to my in-laws a few miles away).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At what point did the foil get used?  After you removed from smoker?  I am doing mine this weekend. Less competition for the sandwich makings after the kids have picked the carcass and taken all the leftovers home![:D]

Thanks,

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

PAsmoker

I brined a 22lb bird overnight.  Started it at about 7am for an evening dinner.  I set the BS on top of a cooler so it would be at a higher level.  All was going fine, till lunch time (about noon).  I went inside to eat and the wind really had picked up.  When I went back out, the BS was laying on it's front with the door off it's hinges!!  Luckily, the bird didn't hit the ground, just stuck between the door & cabinet.  I ended up taking the bird inside and finishing it in the oven.  I still slow roasted it at about 235-250 until 6pm.  It still came out with a good smoke flavor and really juicy.  

That just finished off a bad week.  PA's bear season opened on Monday.  I only got out into the woods about 7:30am (rough night at the cabin, a "little" merrymaking went on).  There was a guy & his kid in MY TREE.  Supposedly his bro was near there too.  Right after we walked by, they started shooting!  Those a$$%@les shot a SMALL sow & her two cubs.  That really irritated me.  That's not what that season is about.  They were so proud.  No one in my camp was too impressed.  If those cubs went 45lbs, I'd be suprised.  I definitely would have let them pass.  BUMMER.  That gives all sportsman a bad name.
The Original PAsmoker

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAsmoker</i>
<br />That gives all sportsman a bad name.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I agree PA, it's a shame that there are varying degrees of sportsmanship and stewardship of the outdoors.  That said, be thankful you came across someone in your spot that only wanted to hunt.  What the HELL is with that <font color="blue">whackjob</font id="blue"> up in Wisconsin that killed all those people?

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

PAsmoker

White, wow.  I feel for their families.  Unfortunately, people will use this as an anti-gun or anti-hunting point, when neither guns nor hunting had anything to do with those fellow's deaths.  I've already heard some talkinghead on tv pushing these aburd notions.
The Original PAsmoker

pinkertonfloyd

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Pinkertonfloyd

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  03:42:58      
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turkey came out in 8.5 hours, pulled it at 165 (Breast). It was moist, had a wonderful light smoke flavor. Everyone loved it. We had two turkeys, one Smoked, one "Normal". Smoked was gone... Normal is still 75 there.
The color on it was awsome! Everyone was amazed when I pulled the foil off (I drove it to my in-laws a few miles away).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At what point did the foil get used?  After you removed from smoker?  I am doing mine this weekend. Less competition for the sandwich makings after the kids have picked the carcass and taken all the leftovers home![:D]

Thanks,

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Didn't use foil it Til after it was out of the smoker (while it was resting, held the heat in while the other stuff was finishing up)... came out a nice Dark carmel Color... it was stunning.

Use a Vertical roaster... I used a Spanek (www.spanek.com) (better Gourmet shops sell them, as does the www.nesco.com (American Harvest). Green Egg also resells the Spanek. It holds the Turkey standing up.

I placed the Bird so the Dark Meat was towards the back of the Bradley (it's a bit hotter there). Pulled when the Breast was 165 (The Dark was about 175 at this time... Perfect!.

I used Cherry Pucks, great smoke flavor, but not overpowering. Did 8 hours of Smoke (two packs). Had the Cooking temp about 190-200 Degrees.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />I swear US Thanksgiving is the least productive work day in Canada, bar none...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Heck, dealing with Bradley, I've come to believe you Canadians celebrate all your holidays <b>AND</b> ours!

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?