What is everyone's plan for Thanksgiving...more

Started by SmokinMoe, November 24, 2004, 02:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pinkertonfloyd</i>
<br />Turkey came out in 8.5 hours, pulled it at 165 (Breast). It was moist, had a wonderful light smoke flavor. Everyone loved it. We had two turkeys, one Smoked, one "Normal". Smoked was gone... Normal is still 75 there. [:D]
The color on it was awsome! Everyone was amazed when I pulled the foil off (I drove it to my in-laws a few miles away).

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At what temperature did you smoke at. I did a 12 pounder cooking at 220 degrees, roasted it vertically and it took 14 hours, with a thigh temperature of 165 degrees. As you would expect, all drippings were dried up in the pan by the time the bird was done.

Mine came out great, and I used a combinination of 2 apple - 1 hickory, using three hours of smoke. If I can cut down on the cooking time that would be a great help.

As Bill asked, when did you used the foil, and did you foil the whole bird or just the breast?

One other question. I read an article that stated when brining poultry never use acidic liquids - acids will begin cooking the meat upon contact. I noticed you had two acidic based liquids, apple juice and oranges. It sounds like a good brine. Where there any signs that the meat reacted to the acid, prior to smoking the bird? How long did you brine for?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Sorry! For some reason the post above mine we not shown when I sent my first reply. I don't understand why mine took much longer to cook. I used a lower meat temperature and had a smaller bird. Although it was windy the day that I smoked, the Guru was keeping the temperature steady, and I had the ramp mode off. Any one has any ideas?

I am still curious about answer to the question about the brine you used.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Heck, dealing with Bradley, I've come to believe you Canadians celebrate all your holidays AND ours!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Careful Whitetail, we got us a smart one here--he's on to us! [:)]
Tom