Childhood Memories

Started by Scotty-G, March 26, 2008, 04:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

Quote from: Wildcat on March 27, 2008, 05:54:33 AM

....milk was delivered door to door....

My dad was a milkman that delivered door to door. I'm supposed to be an only child, but there sure were a lot of kids on his milk route that looked exactly like me... :-\ ::)

Consiglieri

Battling tops rocked.

Rockem sockem Robots rocked.
SST racers (including the smashup derby version) and hot wheels rocked.
TTP pump up motorcycles rocked.
Whizzer tops rocked.

Water rockets obviously rocked.
And those v-shaped helicopter wings you shot up high into the air (which twirled back down to earth) also rocked.
There was also some bowling game where you swung a ball on a string to knock down pins.  That rocked too.

But then there were the delinquent activities too:
The lighter fluid games ontrack mentions.
lawn dart "chicken".  I have physical evidence on my left shin proving that I won the only match I played.   
Any number of special games involving bottlerockets, roman candles, and firecrackers.  Or the contents of same packed into much larger containers.
Surgical tubing water weenies and water balloon slingshots.

And we're still here (against all odds).  At least I know where the landmines are buried; hopefully I can help steer the son away from all but the really fun ones.   ;)
Consiglieri

mcanik

LOL Surgical tubing water weenies! I had one bust and wrap around my arm! Did that ever hurt!

Gizmo

I only need to say one thing:

Estes Rockets
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Quote from: Gizmo on March 27, 2008, 08:35:53 PM
I only need to say one thing:

Estes Rockets

Yeah, we did some experiments with those too.  I think one of my friends nearly won a Darwin Award.  He was one of those scary smart guys, one that would have become a super villain if he existed in a comic book.  Too much mischief working with just enough 7th grade understanding of physics.

He removed the engine mount on a C rocket so that he could fit a larger engine in the rocket tube.  I think he may have been able to cram an E in there (Larger engine sizes further down the alphabet).  If memory serves correctly, it was one of those payload model rockets, the kind equipped with a plastic "window" section in which you could place contents (I think called the Xray).  He "may have" filled the payload with some sort of liquid, like charcoal lighter fluid.  Or gasoline.   And the nosecone and payload were sealed shut with glue.  Fortunately the D or E burn lasts quite a bit longer than a C, so the rocket was way up there when the chute ejection charge fired.  Except the nosecone wouldn't blow off because the rocket had been glued shut...  Rocket blows apart, liquid disperses and volatilizes.  Vapor meets charge flash...  Big, big, big flash and boom.

If I didn't hear that he was living in the Pacific NorthWest, I might suspect he lived in the Livermore hills.   ;D

Consiglieri

car54

Car window service at hamburger places. The 1st fast food restaurants.

Real candy stores.

Soda fountains.

Drive in theaters

A time when a teacher could touch you and punish you. My 7th grade science teacher hooked up a hand cranked army surplus generator to my ear lobes and started cranking!

Brad

Wildcat

We still have car window service (on roller skates) here.

We still find candy making shops in areas we visit.

Soda fountains have disappeared as well as drive in theaters.

School still has corpal punishment here.

Life is still kind of good.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

QuoteCar window service at hamburger places. The 1st fast food restaurants.
Real candy stores.
Soda fountains.
Drive in theaters

Oh yeah, me too.  Burgers 5/$1.00 and gas at $0.23 a gallon plus windows washed, oil checked and tires checked.  Blue Chip Stamps.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Carter

Nice Song Tiny Tim.  Kind of weird too.  That's my life.

Carter

P.S.  AFX Race Track.

Artmiester

Quote from: Wildcat on March 28, 2008, 04:34:57 AM
We still have car window service (on roller skates) here.

Wildcat, we not only have an A&W drive-in with window service on roller skates here, but a local street rod club holds their meetings there on Wed. nights. 50's-60's music... really cool daddy-O!  ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

Wildcat

Now were talking Artmiester.  8)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Art & Cat,
It's a little far to drive my '36 Ford Phaeton Street Rod for the meeting but it sounds like fun!! 8)

Tom Terrific, Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Jeremy McBoing Boing, Winky Dink, ColorForms, Fizzies.  Need I go on?  All of the above makes me old as well.

KyNola

LilSmoker

Oh the memories! haha!

Battling Tops!, we had them on this side of the pond also, had them as an xmas present one year, i just couldn't leave them alone.
Trying to think of the names of the tops now? i remember "Tricky Nicky" what were the others?

We had "Action Man" and "Tommy Gun" instead of "G.I. Joe" although my cousin gave me a G.I. Joe from the states which made all my friends jealous!  ;D

My aunt got the first colour TV i had ever seen, and we sat there for ages in amazement just looking at the testcard!  ;D

My brother had a "Johnny Speed" and i had a "Johnny Express" which was brought over from Canada by my cousin, who was very spoiled!  ;D

Very enjoyable times indeed
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

I had a Johnny Service.  The one I saw on the web had a hardtop vette but mine came with a convertible. 
I still have my oliver farm tractor, a tonka jeep and some of the hot wheels and tracks.  My mom and dad brought them out when they moved out here.  Of course I still have my GI Joe with all the accessories.  My dad made a wood case for it.  The unfortunate part is the cardboard box got tossed when the wood case was made.   
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

yul

:) Anyone remember "Mamod Steam Engines". Actual working models of stationary steam engines, lots of hot parts, spirit heating unit, lots of moving parts to catch unwary fingers, loved every minute though.  ;)
Brian. Montreal.