Jerky Screens

Started by Tiny Tim, March 28, 2008, 08:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I just received the screens that I ordered...1 set for me, 1 set for stock in my Bradley Sales lineup.  Little different than I expected, but I think they're gonna work better than I expected.  I was expecting them to be kinda "floppy and foldable" but they're actually pretty rigid...not enough to work without the racks, but rigid.

Gonna try to test them this weekend and smoke some fatties with some sausage I have, and maybe a variation of the "Ain't Yo Momma's Meatloaf".

Any smoke time, cook time, and cooking temperature suggestions out there?

Mr Walleye

Tiny

They work great. I have 2 sets of them and use the inverted setup with jerky. I usually give them a little spray with Pam and they are not bad to clean up after a little soak in the sink.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

Hey Mike...are you talking about the non-stick Jerky Rack or the (kind of) plastic screen that goes on top of the rack with smaller holes yet?  What I just got are the latter.....

Mr Walleye

Sorry Tiny, I was working.... Always gets in the way of important stuff!  ;)

I was refering to the plastic jerky screens that you lay on your regular racks. I have had the jerky racks in the past but the non-stick coating does not last long and they are a mess to use after it starts flaking off.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

That's cool...just wanted to make sure we were talkin' about the same product.  Looking forward to trying them for myself.  Sounds like rain for Sunday, so I'll have to do it tomorrow if it's gonna get done this weekend.

Have a great day.

Wildcat

Hey TT.  Are these actually plastic, or simply have the feel of plastic?  I may be interested in some of them.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

It doesn't say on the package, but it looks and feels like plastic.  I was expecting more of a silicone feel and look.

Wildcat

If it is plastic, then I assume it must be food grade.  Does it indicate a safe operating temp?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Says "DO NOT exceed 200* F as screens will melt reaching the 300* F mark".

Guess I'm gonna have to cook my fatties and meatloaf at about 200 then. :D

Habanero Smoker

I have two sets and they work great. The package and the information on the site states they are made of a grade of silicone. I mainly use then when smoking fish, and jerky.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

Are yours fairly rigid, Habs?

Habanero Smoker

Yes they are rigid. I purchased them a few months back directly for the Bradley site. Because of the stiffness, they could be a mixture of some grade of plastic and silicone; but at the time they were advertised as silicone screens. They have the same high temperature warning of 200°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

Alright.  Thank you much.

Gizmo

I have been testing several styles of Jerky screens.  Just need to get ahold of the company for some price points.  The types I have tried have been a mixture of very flexible and stiff.  They have different heat ratings.  The one rated at 200 deg actually started to deform/melt as one one test I had placed it in the lowest rack position and the area nearest the back wall, and therefore the heating element, did not like the extra heat that the element puts out to reach a cabinet temperature of around 200 deg F.  Would be better for cold smoking.  The high temp screens (go up to 500 deg) are absolutely fantastic.  I have tested them with jerky, ribs, brisket, and butts.  Standard dish soap and water with a sponge cleans them right up and they don't even stain.  As soon as I get the price points I'll post some pictures and links.  These are all food grade.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Giz,
I'm very interrested in the high temp screens.  Keep us posted!

KyNola