Just got a BDS. Newbie questions.

Started by nhaydon, June 17, 2008, 06:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhaydon

I have researched a lot here the past couple of weeks. I am going to get the Aubers PID but what is the best digital thermometer? Also, what should I try first? I have never smoked before. Chicken, brisket, ribs pork butt? Also, how about a good recipie book? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

westexasmoker

Welcome nhaydon

I use the maverick et-73 dual probe thermometer, unfortunately on my first smoke the wind grabbed it and killed the meat side of it, I picked up another meat thermometer I think it was kmart for like 10 bucks till I can get a new maverick.  As far as the easiest meat to smoke IMO would be chicken, whole, halves or quarters.  My favorite cookbook is Smoke and Spice!  Although this bunch of fine folks have got some seriously good receipes!  Oh yeah my other advice is to use mesquite!   ;D  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Welcome, Nhaydon!

I second what WTS has told you with the maverick et-73.  A great investment, IMHO.

My first smoke was a pork butt.  Very simple to do, however, yard birds are also very easy.

My best advice is to get a package of bisquettes that have all the different flavors and try them to feel out your own preferences.  WTS is biased as that is about the only tree that grows in his neck of the woods  ;).  But, I haven't found a flavor I don't really like.  Any way you decide to go, you will be more than happy, I'm sure.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Consiglieri

maverick ET 73 is the thermometer of choice around here.

As far as first smoke, all a matter of what you want for dinner and how much time you have.  Pork butt is probably the most forgiving cut of meat, but requires a great deal of time.  Ribs require less cooking time but more attention. 

I'd opt for ribs, personally.  I'm overdue for some (maybe this weekend) and I'm just leaning that way. 
Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

Since you're going with a PID, I would opt for a remote thermometer with dual meat probes instead of 1 meat, 1 cabinet......the Maverick number is either ET-7 or ET-72, I think.  I've been using my ET-73 as a dual meat by just inserting the cabinet probe into the second piece of meat.

As for a first smoke, don't do anything that's real elaborate.....start simple so you don't scare yourself off by oversmoking or something like that.

nhaydon

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try ribs. I will post when finished. Thanks again.

West Coast Kansan

Give Iceman's post a read for guidance.  Low and Slow.  Be patient. Have fun. Welcome to the Forum ;D

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4290.0

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Iceman's "How to Make Competition Ribs", is now posted on the recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=449

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Good luck with the Ribs.  Ribs and smoked salmon are my favourite things to make in the Bradley.

Pulled pork is the easiest to get right.  Takes the longest.  If you're cooking for company, look up Renowned Mr. Brown on this site, in Smoke n' Spice, or on the Weber's recipe site.  Make up some Vaunted Vinegar sauce and you'll be the the life of the party

Whole chicken is pretty easy.  Go light on smoke (IMHO).  If you're going to use Mesquite, rumour has it, use less.  It's a little stronger.  Be careful of Westexas on this though.  He's a little obsessed. ;D

My main recipe sources are "Smoke n' Spice", "BBQ Bible", & this site.  I believe Beer Can Chicken or Chix as some call it can be found in both of those books and on this site.  Delicious with or without smoke.

I mainly have used Hickory for meat and Alder for fish, but I have experimented with Apple, Cherry, Mesquite and Special Blend.  I've liked everything but special blend.

I have a "no name" thermometer that I've been using lately.  Seems to be working fine.

Good luck with your smoke job and enjoy.  Welcome aboard.

Carter

SmokinGuitarPlayer

FYI... we are Maverick dealers and sell that ET-73 which I agree is a great unit. On the "bad probe" issue. First of all, if you go even slightly over 400 degrees the probe wires melt BUT ..regardless of circumstances, if you have a bad probe or probes ... if the end-user (owner) calls Maverick, most times they will send you new probe(s) for FREE !!!  They charge us dealers $ 12.00 but will send free most times to the end-user so just call them .. we have the toll free # as well as other info in the "support" section of our website.
the SmokinGuitarPlayer is the owner of Fred's Music and BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. and online BBq Specialty store at www.fredsmusicandbbq.com ~ Specialty retailer - Guitars and BBQ Gear ! GOD BLESS AMERICA ! Check us out sometime.

Gizmo

Welcome SmokinGuitarPlayer.  Good info to know, thanks for posting. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  SmokinGuitarPlayer!

Good info.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!