The smoke's rollin (w/ pics)

Started by bigredsmoker, March 30, 2008, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt

Hey Bigred, I have a question about the ABT's that look soooo good. Is that cheese that you have wrapped all the way around the pepper? I haven't made them yet but want to soon. I was under the impression that you just put the cheese inside the half of pepper over the sausage and then wrapped it with bacon? Can you explain to me what you did there? Thanks bigred and also, go Hawks.

bigredsmoker

Hi Kurt, I cut the stem off the Jalapeno, then slice length wise in half. I then scoop out the seeds and either leave the rib if I want them hot or take it all out if I want mild. Place a litle smokey in the half, like it is in a little boat. Then I slice a piece of cream cheese off about 3/8 thick and kind of mold it over the little smokie so that it forms the other half of the jalapeno. It will then look like you have a whole jalapeno again only one half is cream cheese and the other is the jalapeno. Wrap with a slice of bacon and put a toothpick through to hold it on. smoke for 2 hours at 210 and continue to cook at 210 until bacon is as crisp as you like it.

That's it, and they are most excellent.

Terry

matwell

Hey Bigred,

Where did you find those great looking peppers. I went to my local stop & shop and they were quite small. I went online to research other recipes for ABT's and one said buy a jar of large pickled Jalapeno peppers. Those were impossible to find. Everyone I found was sliced for sandwich purposes. Any suggestions? Maybe, I will try a produce or farmer type market. Please Help! I have been dying to try these out.

westexasmoker

In my neck of the woods large jalapenos are kinda a hit and miss, one week they are huge and the next small, you just have to make do with whats available.  Either way large or small they are still the bomb!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

bigredsmoker

I haven't had a probem getting the bigger ones. Most of the time I get them at Super Target. If I couldn't get big ones there we have a Whole Foods here in town that usually has them as well. I don't think the pickeled ones would be that great to use in ABT's.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 29, 2008, 07:50:11 AM
In my neck of the woods large jalapenos are kinda a hit and miss, one week they are huge and the next small, you just have to make do with whats available.  Either way large or small they are still the bomb!  ;D

C

How in the world can Texas have small penos?  I thought everything was bigger in Texas?  ??? ;D ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

huhwhatliar

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 31, 2008, 03:04:07 AM

How in the world can Texas have small penos?  I thought everything was bigger in Texas?  ??? ;D ;D

That is only a myth, like westexassmoker always insinuating everything goes better with mesquite  :D :D ;)

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

westexasmoker

Am I sensing penos envy  ;D with mesquite!!

C

huhwhatliar

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 31, 2008, 09:20:51 AM
Am I sensing penos envy  ;D with mesquite!!

C

only by giggling duck  :D  with or without mesquite ;)

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

La Quinta

I remain...Cheesy and silent...but VERY amused!!!

firerescueman

I did some VERY LARGE penos last week,  with my wife's help of course!   :o    There were really more penos than I have ever had before  (penos aren't really my thing.....)  so my loving wife stepped in and took the bulk of the penos without a problem.  Once she showed me how to do it,  everything went fine.  HHHHHmmmmmm....   these things don't taste half bad!    Can't quite get past the white cheesy stuff that comes out when you bite down,  but ,other than that , they don't taste half bad!  :-\ ::) :o ;) ;)    Don't think I'll ever do them by myself again,  they will be more of a special treat just for the wife.....

O well,    next she REALLY wants to try a big ol' fatty  ?!?!?!   :o :o ::)

gotta run.....  wish me luck!

God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

westexasmoker

I'm usually not at a loss of words....but all I can say is congrats and good luck!!  Uh...did ya use mesquite!  ;D

C

bigredsmoker

:o :o : :o

Call me slow. I had to re-read Firerescueman's post before I finally got it. I am usually the first one on board with the inuendo...geeesh!

My wife loves the penos as well, but only mine! Her favorite part is the smokey flavor of the cream cheese.

La Quinta

ok...boys...you're gonna get in trouble...I truly want to contribute but...not a good idea I bet!! :(

firerescueman

QuoteUh...did ya use mesquite!

nope.........cherry, actually!   ::) ;) ;) :o

y'all are right.....  I'd better stop before I get in trouble and get kicked out of the forum...........   I wouldn't know what to do without my newfound friends!   ;) :-\

LOL

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!